cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetGear DG834N - How to get faster than 130mbps with 'N' WiFI?

mitchell20
Grafter

NetGear DG834N - How to get faster than 130mbps with 'N' WiFI?

I've had a NetGear DG834N router for a couple of years now.  It's not until I bought a new MacBook the other week, have I been able to use the full 'N' WiFi capabilities of this router.  Well so I thought anyway....
Whilst I can currently connect at 130mbps (which is much faster than G or B WiFi speeds) I am unable to connect at the full 270 mbps.  Raised a ticket with Netgear and have done all the usual resets and full factory restores etc,  but still I cant go faster than 130mbps.  I tried every avaialble WiFi channel but all of them will only work at 130mbps.
I've the latest official firmware on the DG834N - V1.02.08
After doing a bit of research on the web, it seems a few people say that 270mbps WiFi is actually disabled in the UK, due to the frequency at which 270 WiFi runs at not been licensed.  Is this true?  If so I guess it's another case of 'upto' been the key word in 'N' WiFi offering speeds of upto 270mbps.
Has anyone managed to run N WiFI at the full 270mpbs?
7 REPLIES 7
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: NetGear DG834N - How to get faster than 130mbps with 'N' WiFI?

I might be wrong but I understood it is 130 up, 130 down which is 260 total
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: mitchell20
I guess it's another case of 'upto' been the key word in 'N' WiFi offering speeds of upto 270mbps.

Another victim of Marketing  Cry
From the NetGear site;
** Maximum wireless signal rate derived from IEEE standard 802.11n specifications. Actual data throughput will vary. Network conditions and environmental factors, including volume of network traffic, building materials and construction, and network overhead, lower actual data throughput. NETGEAR recommends that the same router and adapter type are used.

What are you connecting to? as it looks like the Hardwired connections are only 100M on that router!!!!
mitchell20
Grafter

Connected to a MacBook (the new Al unibody version) with latest AirPort card with 802.11a/b/g/n
The Mac is telling me it's always connected at 130mbps.  This value never changes which makes me think this is actually the fastest it will run at.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

How many antenna have you got on the MacBook and the router?
Read http://www.wirevolution.com/2007/09/07/how-does-80211n-get-to-600mbps/ for the relevance of that question.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mitchell20
Grafter

The router and MacBook just have the standard antenna (think the standard 2 on the MacBook and the standard internal one(s) in the DG834N).  Currently using the MacBook about 2m away for the router.
Netgear have escalated this so I'll wait to hear what they say too.
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

Sounds like you may need to find a way to turn on 'full duplex' for the connection, as far as I can remember, ouside of buisness products Netgear defaults to half duplex on most connections.  are there any options in the router config to change the mode of the WiFi?
mitchell20
Grafter

The only WiFi options in the router are:
SSID
Region (currently set to Europe)
Channel (set to 7 as recommended by Netgear, other channels available are Auto,1, 2,3,4,5,6) tried them all!!
Mode (set to upto 270, other options are 'g&b' and 'upto 130')
Enable Wireless Access Point (obviously this is enabled)
Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID) (also enabled)
Wireless Isolation (disabled)
Security Options (set to WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES])  Have tried without security and that makes to difference
Network Key
Netgear US (default Netgear support) have now escalated this to Netgear UK now so I'll keep you posted.