cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Net Neutrality

scootie
Grafter

Net Neutrality

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/news/europe-america-legislate-on-net-neutrality-1328.html
“Internet service providers have powerful tools at their disposal that allow them to differentiate between the various data transmissions on the internet, such as voice or ‘peer-to-peer’ communication. Even though traffic management may allow premium high-quality services (such as IPTV) to develop and can help ensure secure communications, the same techniques may also be used to degrade the quality of other services to unacceptably low levels or to strengthen dominant positions on the market. That is why, under the new EU rules, national telecoms authorities will have the powers to set minimum quality levels for network transmission services so as to promote “net neutrality” and “net freedoms” for European citizens.”

if this comes into force, do you think PN would be more on the ball with keeping the intreactive stuff out the download server queue or do you think as it will know doubt be ofcom that takes the power for the uk and there as much use as a chocy teapot that isp's will dismiss these rules
7 REPLIES 7
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Net Neutrality

isp's will tray and dismiss these rules.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

This is the one which will cause problems for a few other suppliers
The new rules also require ISPs to be transparent about their services. Consumers must be informed before signing a contract about the nature of the service to which they are subscribing, including details of any traffic management techniques and their impact on service quality, as well as any other limitations, such as bandwidth caps.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

It won't cause problems at all. All the ISPs will either try and make it look shiny and glossy or they'll bang it in the small print and blame the end user for not reading it. Small print is a bad option these days as banks were using this and look at the mess they've got into. Small print doesn't protect companies like it once did.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Mand
Grafter

Re:Net Neutrality

We differentiate by protocol, and time-sensitivity of the traffic, not by which particular service it is. We're not a content provider, we're a carrier of content.
I think it's good to push for net neutrality, but at the prices broadband is sold at these days it's just not realistic for everything to be full speed.
Personal opinion time, there's a lot more worrying stuff in that reform than ISP's using traffic management. For instance I note that the ability to disconnect users for suspected copyright violations has remained, albeit slightly changed from when it was first suggested.
scootie
Grafter

yes but would spotify being miss classed for so long be breaking these proposed rules, ive got nothing agaisnt traffic mangment as long as it does what it says on the tin
Mand
Grafter

Re:Net Neutrality

Exactly how, or even if, this will be implemented haven't been clarified yet, but IMO the Spotify issue would not fall foul of the rues, as we're not delibaretely strangling Spotify.
scootie
Grafter

yes but my net freedom has been abused for what must be a year now, so i would asume ofcom would put a time cap on how long an isp has to identify the mis identified traffic so that it becomes useable at peak times.
dont get me wrong am not ranting here, i save that for the rest of my posts  Smiley . just debating what the pro an cons of this would be if it comes into any kind of forceable rules