cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nest wifi

Lethal_Lenny

Nest wifi

Hi people. I’m interested in buying a Nest WiFi router & WiFi point to improve coverage in my home. Fed up with the limited range of the Hub one. Please excuse my lack of knowledge but if I understand correctly the WiFi can be switched off on the Hub one and I can use the Nest mesh system to blanket my home with a strong WiFi signal. In layman’s terms how exactly would I go about this? Is it as simple as logging into the Hub one, turning the WiFi off and then plugging the Nest Router to the Hub one?
Any advice is much appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Lethal_Lenny

Re: Nest wifi

Nobody has any advice for me? 😕 I’m kinda stuck. I asked the Plusnet team and they said it can be done but they couldn’t tell me how to go about it, red tape boll@?!s. Turn to the forums they said.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

The Hub 1 is a router, and yes you can turn off the WiFi, but plugging another router into it can cause issues.

That said, I used to run a BT HH5, the same as the Hub 1,with a Netgear router, at the simplest lever you need to ensure the IP address ranges are different. A better solution would be getting a modem, or router than can be configured as modem only.

I would have thought you would be better going to the Google/Next support site for an answer.

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@Mustrum wrote:

The Hub 1 is a router, and yes you can turn off the WiFi, but plugging another router into it can cause issues.

It's actually worse than that with Google/Next WifI.

It isn't really ia system designed to be used just as an access point - if you do you lose mesh and other functionality and can only use one unit.

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/6240987?hl=en-GB

My advice to the OP would be to replace the Hub One with a standalone xDSL modem (or router that has a proper bridge mode) if they want to use Nest WiFi or look elsewhere.

BT sells a mesh disc system that is designed to be plugged into an existing router for example