cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to build a simple website and have a domain with PlusNet

ChrisInChip
Hooked

Need to build a simple website and have a domain with PlusNet

I want to build a new simple professional looking website to say who I am, what I do and how to contact me. It does not need any fancy shopping, financial or database stuff.

For a long time I have held a domain name, plusnet is the registrar.

I have a web site hosted by plusnet which fell into disuse and there used to be a .php database of pictures from a charity trip. The database has been lost with plusnet changes to its hosting strategy.

What are my options for setting up this new simple website?

1. Continue with plusnet hosted site but I don't know what to use to build the site (Back in the day I used some software package to build it on my own PC and published by ftp'ing the pages up to the site - I'm not sure if any software still exists to support this approach.)
  2. Set up a website on a different host as most seem to support online web bulding tools, and sort out whatever needs to be done (no idea!) so the new site appears under my domain name - e.g. www.mydomain.co.uk. I'd still want emails to stay managed through plusnet though - e.g. anyname@mydomain.co.uk
  3. Any options I have not thought of? 🤔

Any views and comments would be very welcome. Plusnet have declined to support creating content on a site hosted by them as a legacy service and I am not clever enough to handcraft html pages without helpful tool(s)!

Thanks

Chris

3 REPLIES 3
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Need to build a simple website and have a domain with PlusNet

@ChrisInChip 

Do it for FREE..... set up your own "blogsite"... easy to do... I managed it... ! ! ...

https://www.blogger.com/about/?r=1-null_user

Pre designed backgrounds and layouts and styles.... just scroll through it ... and can chop and change even after you have set it all up ...

check out my two current blogs... Just for information to see what they look like..

https://morsepower.blogspot.com/   click the "OK" on the banner across the top to reveal the blog title .

https://nemosphotography.blogspot.com/    same again.. click the "ok" to clear the banner...

ChrisInChip
Hooked

Thanks, that is an angle I had not thought of. Creating content look super easy. I think I would need to work out the domain name redirection bit and from the examples it was hard to see if this could look like a regular corporate website. What do you reckon?

The site is part of launching myself as a free-lancer.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@ChrisInChip  So long as you "put about" your blog url... it will be just the same as a website url... it will be "searched" as normal websites are on SEO`s and can be found by typing in the name on a google search box...

(try my blog names to see how it works  ! ) ..

the "backgrounds" available make the blogs look really professional.. so ...yes.. you could use it as a "psuedo" corporate site for your self employment