cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need lots of pci slots

briston
Aspiring Pro

Need lots of pci slots

It's been quite a while since I needed to build a system so a bit rusty on whats about. The main requirement of the mb is at least 4 PCi slots, preferably 5. Dont mind what processor etc. As there are 100's of board specs to go through, anyon know of a board?
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
StickyMick
Grafter

Re: Need lots of pci slots

What's it for exactly?
If you don't mind it being a used item, there's a shop not far from me, he's having a clearout of old PC gear. He's got a mountain of motherboards, PSUs, CPUs, RAM, CD-drives, Hard drives etc etc etc all going for between £10 - £20 a piece.
What he gets for it all is going to charity. He says it has been tested and it all works. I got a PSU and 512mb of RAM for £20. The PSU went in my machine and works faultlessly and the 512mb RAM went in my dads machine.
I'm sure he can arrange postage.
PM he's number if you want it.
Vip3r
Grafter

A quick google found this:
£60
Gigabyte GA-P43-ES3G Intel P43 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard [GA-P43-ES3G]
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-217-GI
Similar to you I haven't built a PC for some Time (2 years) so all the research I did is well out of date, I think the we need more info as to what you will be using it for  eg Gaming PC, Office PC, Media Centre,  to be able to give any specific advice.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: briston
at least 4 PCi slots, preferably 5.

That's an awful lot, most decent mobo's have (almost) everything onboard - what's the requirement?
(I'd be looking at industrial kit if I needed that many PCI slots BTW)  Crazy
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re:Need lots of pci slots

Hi briston,
As has been said most stuff tends to be on the motherboard these days (sound particularly) and if you don't have a pci express graphics card you'll need to look for a board with the graphics on it too.
PCI is also headed towards being replaced as well, with the smaller PCI express x1 slots being used for network cards, sound cards and others too.
As has been said, advise what you want the PC for and we'll be able to offer much better advice.
Hope that helps,
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi briston,
Just to avoid confusion - are you looking for 5 PCI slots or 5 PCIe (express) slots?
On older motherboards (before PCIe) most full size boards would probably have this many slots - old style PCI.
You say processor does not matter, is that 'within limits' or does it really not matter?  I have an old Socket A machine (for AMD Athlon XP up to 2800+, Athlon or Duron processors), I'm sure that has 5 PCI slots (PCI 2.2 compliant) and 1 AGP (8x), the mainboard is a Gigabyte GA-7VAXP, there were also similar boards GA-7VA & GA-7VAX I beleive that would all have had 5 PCI slots.  If such old technology is adequate for your purposes I think you'd be able to pick one up very cheaply off ebay or similar, there must have been plenty of other similar boards around from other manufacturers, probably any full ATX sized board would have had sufficient PCI slots.
If you're looking for that many PCI Express slots then I think it will be difficult as most also include 'legacy' pci but some high-end products have lots of slots e.g. DFI LANPARTY DK P55-T3eH9 has 3 x16 slots (but not all full speed) and 2 x1 slots.
-  Alastair (walker23)
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.