cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help

shelleysinclair
Dabbler

Need help

I am a plusnet customer, i have the speed touch router.
My pc is connected to it by ethernet cable.
What i want to do is buy and connect a wireless printer so it can be up high and on a shelf away from my young children.
Can i do this, or does everything need to be wireless?
My pc is not wireless enabled. What do i need to buy?
Would love some help
As you can see i dont have much of a clue.
Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Need help

Wireless printers will tend to be a bit pricey.
However, what you need is a wireless router (your PC can still connect via wire to the PC).
Provided you are on the right kind of contract PlusNet will provide (for about £7 p&p) a free
router - it's a Thomson router, but very similar to a speed touch router.
You will have to commit to Plusnet for 12 months though.
If your PC and printer are reasonably close to each other (not more than 5m) you
could connect your PC to a printer using USB cable.
Also if your router and printer are reasonably close you could connect with ordinary ethernet cable.
Those last two options depend on the type of printer really - otherwise you can go for a wireless printer.
There are many options - e.g. do you have multiple computers?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shelleysinclair
Dabbler

I did think i had a wireless router, i thought thats what they advertised when i joined plusnet a few months ago. Pc is connected by eyhernet cable though.
Pc and printer are going to be pretty close.
Maybe i should just connect with usb.
Only have one pc.
I'm very confused.
Does all have to be wireless or could you just have a wireless printer?
shelleysinclair
Dabbler

I have ordered for pick up at argos the Lexmark X4650 for £65 which has wireless capabilities and is well reviewed. I could have it close to the pc or ideally up in a spare room many metres away.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Hi i have a lexmark wireless printer, think it's the 4550 and run a mix of wired and wireless pc's and all can print to it fine. Found it straight forward to set up so. Think it will suit your needs fine.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Does all have to be wireless or could you just have a wireless printer?

Just to answer that , you can have a mixture of wired and wireless connections , no problem.
If your router is the PlusNet supplied Thomson Speedtouch 585v7 ( which is likely ) then it does have wireless facilities.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Not applicable

My pc is not wireless enabled. What do i need to buy?

You will need to wireless enable your PC if you want to get rid of dangling wires, particularly with young children around.
This is cheap and easy to do (must be because I have done it).
I bought a Linksys wireless card for just under £15. The instructions are clear - you put the disc in for the drivers, power the computer down, take the side off and remove the metal plate from the back (just pushes out). The card was then firmly pressed into the slot, leaving the aerial projecting out of the back of the computer. Put the side back on, power up and that's it - you have wireless!
Networking both the computer and the printer should then be straightforward, although haven't done this because my all-in-one isn't a wireless one.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Why not just get a suitable length USB cable and make sure it's firmly fixed in place so the kids can't pull it.
Not sure what the limit is, but my printer cable (USB2) is about 5 metres long.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

The limit according to the standard is 5m for USB.
I suggest you set it up with an old bit of USB before embarking on wifi. Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."