Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on how to create a form overlay

netreg
Grafter

Need advice on how to create a form overlay

Hi all,
I need some advice/pointers on the best way forward.  Undecided
We have an expense form at work that needs to be completed regularly and so to save some time for everyone I would like to create either a word, excel, or pdf document that can be completed, the form loaded on a printer and the output printed over the top..  I would not be in a position to load any additional software which is why it must be one of the formats i have specified.
what i have tried so far is with a word document, adding the form itself as a non printable watermark background but I then have trouble aligning the text to the boxes on the form...
So i would appreciate any advice  Smiley
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Need advice on how to create a form overlay

Create the expenses form either as an Excel or Word template.
Excel may be easier as you can add macro buttons to send it to the printer. Also you can set it up so that, having filled in one cell, it automatically goes to the next one in the template. The user could also save the completed form for their records
mal0z
Grafter

I'd agree with OldJim, but definately do it using Excel, and preferably with macros to control it. Lock all cells except where the user inputs data, etc etc. .
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

I'd use publisher and text boxes myself, It comes with most versions of M$ Office, although you say you have PDF writing facility, if its acrobat pro v9 or above it comes with Adobe Designer, which might work out better (only played with it a little bit, but It seemed it was for almost exactly what you are looking for.)
mal0z
Grafter

Maybe if you just want to have people write text, but as it's an expenses form - it's good to use the arithmetic features that adds columns etc, does VAT calculations and with macros you can set it up to use account codes, cost centres, on drop down boxes etc so people only enter valid code, and then you can extract data to consolidation files etc etc.
samuria
Grafter

I dont understand the logic here. You have a blank form and you want to try and print the input onto a form, this is very dodgy to do due mostly to getting  the paper lined up.
Why cant you create a form in word, excel etc and then just print it out as this seems to be the simple way of doing it you only have to create a form once with text boxs for user to input data