Did you mean: 

Need Help re: BT Internet Radio

FIXED
PaulP
Hooked
Fixes: 2

Need Help re: BT Internet Radio

Hello,

I've got a BT Internet Radio that used to work with a BT Hub2.  I've now got Fibre Broadband, and I want to get the Internet Radio working with the Plusnet Hub One.  Is there anybody who could give me any help?

I've tried BT support (they gave me a pdf of the Internet Radio manual).  I then asked the BT Community, and they suggested I try here.

The radio can scan and find my Plusnet network, but it does not connect.  It just says 'Network not Supported'.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Need Help re: BT Internet Radio

I had a look at that Hub2.

BT say that it features Fibre to the curb (FTTC) 🤣🤣🤣

Shouldn't that be FTTK?

According to BT the Hub2 only works on BT broadband, so I imagine the same is true of your radio.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Is your BT internet radio the all white coloured model, purchased around 10+ years ago?

If yes, it is an one of the very earliest Reciva based radios.  It supports 802.11g wireless standard on 2.4 GHz band only.

It should in theory work with Plusnet Hub One, but due to the age of the firmware on the BT internet radio, I am uncertain whether or not it supports WPA2 security.  Later firmwares for other Reciva internet radios definitely support WPA2 with AES encryption but there is no easy way to upgrade the firmware on your old BT radio.

There are a couple of things you can try to resolve it.

Split the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi 

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/td-p/1351950

Then 

• Downgrade the wifi security to WPA on 2.4 GHz band.

4plusnet.jpg

Downside of lowering the Security is the increased risk of the wifi being hacked?

(Your previous Home Hub 2 offered WPA/WPA2 combo security mode)

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
PaulP
Hooked

Thank you both for your replies.

Yes bill888, the BT internet radio is the all-white coloured model (bought about 13 years ago).

I've done research in the past, and I don't think it supports WPA2 security.  I did think that I'd have to downgrade the wifi security to WPA, but I didn't know how to do it.  I'll have a look at the link you've supplied, and get back to you.

Thanks again,

Paul

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Downgrading your wifi would be a bad idea from the security point of view.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

PaulP
Hooked

Fix

A quick update:  I followed the instructions and have got the internet radio working - so thank you very much for your help!

However I am concerned about having to downgrade the wifi security, so I've reset the wifi to the original configuration.

I'll do some more research, and see what to do next - but at least I know that I can get the radio to work again!