Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Android GPS App for Walking

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Need Android GPS App for Walking

Although not a fitness enthusiast I do like to know how far I walk as I find it so much simpler than a car for short distances.  Having spent hours on the internet I downloaded Map My Walk which is functional but has two basic disadvantages:

I keep getting harrased by people wanting to be my friend!

There is no record of elevation.

Can anyone suggest a simple functional app without these disadvantages?

Elevation is not that relevant when walking out for a pint of milk but a really useful addition on holiday if one's real friends decide it is a nice day to walk up and round an Austrian Alp! My preference is a small hill in Wales but one can at least make a comparison!

TVMIA

TG

6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Need Android GPS App for Walking

There are plenty of fitness apps that will do this for you - have a look at something like Endomondo.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

Thanks for suggestion. Endomondo would appear to be very similar to the Map My grouping.  The Map My interface hides more features that are not that easy to find but Elevation is actually there in a bar chart not as a specific number.

I have a Garmin Roadrunner watch which is quite old but has all the info but is slow to lock onto the satellites. My car satnav is the size of a phone and does the lot so perhaps that is the way forward. At least it will not try to be my friend!

Hey ho.....

markb59

Have you tried Caynax GPS sports Tracker. It shows total time, walking time,avg speed, max speed, altitude, ascent, decent etc. I have used this for a couple of years now and it always works well. you can see how far you have walked in the last week, month or year and only share information if you want to.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@markb59 wrote:

Have you tried Caynax GPS sports Tracker. It shows total time, walking time,avg speed, max speed, altitude, ascent, decent etc. I have used this for a couple of years now and it always works well. you can see how far you have walked in the last week, month or year and only share information if you want to.

Sounds very much worth a go. This one never came up in any searches but with the spec you point out there are so many good choices.

Found out about walk1000miles.co.uk when I bought clothing from Rohan so I want to know how far I fall short after 12 months! 

TVM

TG

hmarshy
Rising Star

Hello TG

Since 2016 I have been using my fitbit Charge HR to track my walks using the fitbit app and I then sync it with Strava which provides better data analysis and I can share my activities with my friends.

The fitbit tracker records of my step count, floors (one floor equals about 10 feet in height), distance, heart rate, calories used and monitors my sleep. I like the fact that I have all the data since 2016.

Using the Strava website it is easier to find walks that you have done before and want to repeat.

I also like the fact that I can upload photos taken on the walk. A great feature here is that, using the website, it shows you where you took your photos on the route, assuming you are using your phone to take photos. If you use a camera as I sometimes do, you can still upload them but the location on the route doesn't appear to work.

My fitbit tracker is starting to fall apart so I think I will be upgrading to the Charge 3.

The most annoying thing with fitbit is getting the devices to synchronise with the app. I have never actually failed to get them to sync but it can be quite an effort. 😕

Cheers

Howard

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Strava is the exact opposite of what's been looked for here I think Smiley
I strongly dislike strava because of the social and public sharing nature of it. there is absolutely no way to be 100% private with it.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'