cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NORTON 360 - Aaaaargh!!!!

sisko
Dabbler

NORTON 360 - Aaaaargh!!!!

Been on the phone to Plusnet today and they have been very helpful but can do nothing about my problem
About 6 weeks ago I found that Norton had updated overnight. OK - so started email.....no connection.  Then I got this 'bar' scrolling up the RHS of the screen saying 'Connected to mail.plus.net' and 'client connected'.  It scrolls up and up for about 5 mins then shrinks down and disappears.
About an hour later, I suddenly hear the emails coming in.
This has happened quite a few times since, but the scrolling thing happens when I try to access the Windows Live Mail and the emails eventually arrive.  Of course, it never used to do that - this blip just appeared out of the blue
Same happened last night - but absolutely no connection to email at all today.  Called up Plus and was advised that it was likely Norton 360.  Went on to Norton helpline and ended up doing a full, total scan which lasted 3.1/2 hours.
Still, no email.
I have disabled the Firewall - still no email.
I am seriously considering removing Norton 360 and installing a Freeware antivirus programme, to see if that would help.  However, I have an external HD where Norton regularly backs up everything and stores it in the HD.  I wouldn't have that facility if I removed Norton would I?
I'm not quite a Technophobe, but am female and not totally au fait with the intricacies of such matters!! OK - I admit it!  But, so, so need help as I really need to get my emails in, being a small (very) business.
Obviously I am getting access to the internet - and can send emails alright - at least they are disappearing and going into my 'sent' box. I have sent a couple of tests to myself but of course they have not arrived.  I Googled the error msg and it tells me that it is an antivirus programme fault. 
I have done everything I can possibly think of today, including swearing and pulling hair, all to no avail.  Pretty drastic to uninstall Norton but is this the last hope?  Worried about losing the back-up facility to the external HD too.
I use XP and Windows Live Mail.
Help and advice would be much appreciated folks.
Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
paulby
Grafter

Re: NORTON 360 - Aaaaargh!!!!

I've not used Norton 360 but it should be possible to turn off the e-mail scanning element and see if that helps.
If not, I'd try uninstalling.  If that works then you know it's definitely 360 that's the issue.  You can always re-install it if that didn't fix things.
As for drive backups - there are plenty of other software packages out there that will do the same thing such as Acronis True Image and Norton Ghst.
sisko
Dabbler

Thanks for that.  However, I have an external HD which my son gave me last year for my Birthday (along with Norton bl**dy 360!!) so I feel duty bound to continue to use it. Quite a pricey one too.
Really know nothing about them, just glad to know that the data is safe and becuase he installed everything I just let it run.
So - how can I continue with this component and avoid upsetting him... Undecided
sisko
Dabbler

Oh - and yes, I did turn off the e-mail scanning element yesterday - no change. 
And still no emails today again...
paulby
Grafter

Norton Ghost and Acronis will both back up to your external drive (you don't need to use Norton 360 to do that!). Norton 360 probably uses the same components as Ghost to perform the back up anyway.
As I said, you need to be sure it's 360 causing the problem before you set about replacing it - try uninstalling it and if no improvement simply put it back on (although you'd probably need to set it up again the back up your data).
sisko
Dabbler

OK then - took everyone's advice and uninstalled Norton.  Prior to that I installed free versions of PCTools Spyware Doctor and PC Tools Firewall Plus.
However, although they give you good cover, it's really an attempt to get you to purchase the whole thing as they certainly don't do all the checks etc. that Norton did.
I avoided AVG as I was reading about a number of problems with their latest edition.
Eureka!!!!!  All well, emails coming in and pc running a H*** of a lot faster  Smiley
I will try Ghost then and see how I get on with that.
Watch this space.....any problems and I'll be back to access all the Founts of Wisdom here!
Thanks
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Lifehacker have 'the five best' backup utils today see http://lifehacker.com/398229/five-best-windows-backup-tools
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'