cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFREN Out of Range problem

mgwilliam
Grafter

NFREN Out of Range problem

Kubuntu 9.04 currently installed. Works fine when Monitor, keyboard and mouse connected direct to computer but when when using KVM Switch I am presented with blank screen and "NFREN Out of Range". I hasten to add that I am new to Linux and experimenting with various distros. Some work OK with the KVM switch and some don't and I assume that problem is the same in all instances.
Any help is welcome.
Mike
3 REPLIES 3
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: NFREN Out of Range problem

Try Google.
It seems to be a problem associated with Windows XP - http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-25440_35_0.html
Have you set a screen resolution that is too high?
Also see http://www.ubuntux.org/frequency-out-of-range

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

This can happen when you start a machine and the screen isn't connected to it, i.e. you have the KVM conencted to machine 1 and switch on 2. Used to happen regularly when I used a mechanical/or cheap  KVM. These days when I start a machine and it isn't on the KVM I get 800x600 and have to restart the X11 server (Ctl-Alt-Backspace unless it is disabled in xorg.conf)
mgwilliam
Grafter

Thank you both for your help.
I am pleased to say that I have been able to solve the problem by having the other computer (running XP) on when booting the Linux machine. As I said earlier I am trying out various distros and have 3 harddrives each with a different version! One of the three booted OK without the other machine on which I found most odd and researching this on the net did not provide me with a solution hence my call for help.
Mike