Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAS

OshB5
Grafter

NAS

Hello All
I would like to get a decent 2-4Tb NAS to go with my system and to stand alongside the new router when I get fibre installed. Id like the NAS to be a little more than a standard one. That is being gigabit which is obvious. But would also like it have something like either a Print, FTP, Web or Media server enabled as well as the various other added extras that may be going dependant on the model. Such as  a push button clone/backup on the housing and such.  As Iv seen that many offering that many different things its sent my head spinning.
I think iv got a couple of musts pinned those being I would like it to be connected via Ethernet rather than USB But have at least two USB 2 (minimum) sockets And for it to be a 2 drive bay system.
There also wireless systems but I think might be out of my pocket range?
Regards
12 REPLIES 12
Thunderclap
Grafter

Re: NAS

I hear good things about Synology and Zyxel NAS servers.
But how deep are your pockets? For the 2TB+ you ask for, you'd need to add to your budget an extra £120 for a pair of SATA drives as, NAS enclosures are just empty boxes with fans. Btw for typical domestic use, a single drive NAS can surfice.  As for wireless, NAS is made for hard wiring to a LAN - Cheaper wireless NAS boxes are more often those sit under the TV media servers that play from SD cards/etc. For networked storage, the WiFi functionality is provided by a Wireless Access Point somewhere on the LAN - or a WiFi dongle that plugs into the rear USB port. Print serving tends to be on the most expensive NAS boxes - so think if you need that. Media serving and FTP are implemented on most NAS boxes as standard.

Happy hunting.
+++ EDIT ++++
This is the sort of thing that you may be looking for - it's not wireless or print server enabled, but has plenty of bytes
http://www.dabs.com/products/zyxel-4tb--2-x-2tb--nsa320-2-bay-power-1-2ghz-nas-8D1M.html
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could always build your own from an old PC and a bunch of drives - http://www.freenas.org/

>
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Or use Windows Home Server on whatever oldish PC kit you can put together.
journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

This doesn't 'tick' all your requirements, but it works for me, It does have 'almost online backup'.
2 x 3TB WD 'my book live' it has GB ethernet, but no USB. Although you can access the NAS from the internet.
One (primary) connected to the router, the 2nd (secondary) connected to a WiFi extender in another building.
Using MS sync software the primary is replicated to the secondary overnight.
OshB5
Grafter

Hi All
Thanks for the reply's.
From all the reading I think I will get a couple of WD Red 2TB drives as they seam the best for the job in question. So now just need to get a enclosure to fit them in? That has a decent range of  features.
So with all the enclosures out there i had better start looking. I have read that some are better than others then find another site that contradicts what I had just read LOL so ANY suggestions to decent ones then please get suggesting.
Thanks again..
OshB5
Grafter

Hi. 
Iv been pointed towards either Synology or Qnap as a make for this NAS Is anyone using either of these makes please?
Also The main use of this would be for media that is to watch on Home TV. So wondered if there is such a thing as a NAS with media server that is capable of transcoding at all?
Iv read some of the above makes descriptions and I saw that some of them have built in processors either single or dual core? and memory? So with this in mind I would say its a good possibility of a transcoding unit but which ones LOL? Any info would be greatly received.
regards Osh
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sounding more and more like you need a PC OshB5, I'd strongly recommend setting up a C2D box with around 4GB ram, that should do the job and most likely (if you're like me and have a couple of PC cases and assorted other bits kicking about) a lot cheaper and more powerful than any sort of NAS.
/2p
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Plex Media Server can be installed on many NAS units, I found this link via the Synology site:
http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/FAQ:_Plex_Media_Server_and_NAS#Do_I_need_my_NAS_to_transcode_my_me...
This give some idea of the packages available for Synology devices:
http://www.synology.com/dsm/dsm_app.php?lang=uk
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Plex on NAS' is very limited at best.
If you need transcoding I would forget about a NAS and do as Matt suggests and go the PC route.
OshB5
Grafter

Hi
You say the PC route Is there any kind of Forum or place to go that you can glean ideas from as to what and how to set one up. As Id like to use one of the small footprint and possibly quite models Something along the style of the Revo I do have a Dell (8"x 8" x 4" unit) one at the moment I use that has only got a 500gb hard drive and its getting full. Plus I use that PC to control my seedbox and pull what I want to watch plus use it to move those seedbox files fron the box via FTP to my network then via a program called the Renamer to get them into the main Plex library folders, then onto my 3 media players round the house 1 Roku 1 Apple 3 and a cheap Sky NOW Tv (£10 and no difference to the £50 Roku)
But if going to try and build a media player Id like some ideas as to the bits available to use. Plus the best software "Namely" which Operating System is best to run a media centre unit that is And such things as this hard drives how much memory various software and so on.?
Thanks Osh
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Most media players will be Linux based.
Video files need lots of space - so big but not necessarily super fast disk(s) will be needed.
If you want to do transcoding, you will need some heavyweight processing power.
My PC (Linux) is used as a part time background media server.
Files are served over ethernet to a Raspberry Pi which feeds a HDMI connection in the TV.
The software is MediaTomb.
http://mediatomb.cc/pages/documentation

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

dragon2611
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Sounding more and more like you need a PC OshB5, I'd strongly recommend setting up a C2D box with around 4GB ram

The Recent Celerons are probably better believe it or not, as they're usually cut down versions of the i3,
I have an old Microserver N36L and other than a lack of grunt for transcoding it's pretty nice as a NAS/Server