cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAS Recommendations

gswindale
Grafter

NAS Recommendations

I'm looking at getting a home NAS device - the Buffalo Linkstation range looks quite good, but some reviews I've seen have been a bit mixed.
I've also come across the Synology and Qnap devices, which are initially a similar price, but require my own hard drive (presumably SATA) which would make them a bit more costly.  Any ideas and if the latter, any recommendations on a good, quiet, hard drive to use?
5 REPLIES 5
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: NAS Recommendations

I have two of the Buffalo Terastations here now, a 1TB and a 4TB, and they are marvellous.
The only problem I would have is the fact they're not hot-swap, but I'm running them in Raid5 so if there are any problems I can simply power off, switch drive, and power back on again.
I've not had any experience of the QNAP boxes tho.
B.
gswindale
Grafter

The Terastation look to be a bit out of my price range unfortunately.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

If you've got an old pc lying around somewhere have you looked at FreeNAS http://www.freenas.org/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I have got a 500MB linkstation that is a couple of years old and haven't had any issues with it.
Friend has the newer version and hasn't had any issues either.
Would recommend them.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
avalon
Grafter

PC World are doing a Western Digital MyBook World Edition 1TB for £149.99 just now if that is of any use to you.