cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

N95 Plustalk settings

Chapster
Grafter

N95 Plustalk settings

Anybody had any luck yet, i keep getting "internet telephone service unavailable". I am using Negear DG834N router. Truphone works but i would prefer PlusTalk.
Settings as:
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56804
19 REPLIES 19
Liam
Grafter

Re: N95 Plustalk settings

Oooh oooh oooh....
*Points Bob to this post*
Ianwild
Grafter

Yeah - Bob's the man on this - I feel a blog post coming on 🙂
Slight aside, we had a call from Fring ( http://www.fring.com/ ) last week asking if we would be interested in them making us a PlusNet specific client which connected to Plustalk.
Is that something the community would be interested in us progressing with them?
Ian
Ianwild
Grafter

Yep - download it from our website, tell it your plustalk  username and PW, and away you go.
I've not had much of a chance to play with Fring yet, but on first impressions it looked good.
Ian
Liam
Grafter

Actually, I remember now that Bob made a post about that here.
[quote="bobpullen"]Hi all,
Thought I'd start a new thread and sticky it seeing as this question has been asked on multiple occasions over recent months.
Following the work conducted on the VOIP platform as announced here it is now possible to use Broadband phone with the Nokia N series and E series handsets.
The following explains how I configured my N95 to use the service. Other models may differ slightly but never-the-less the settings should be similar.

Handset Configuration

• Navigate to Tools > Settings > Connection > SIP Settings
  • Select Options > New SIP Profile > Use Default Profile
  • Enter your Broadband Phone settings as follows. I have used screenshots from sipgate's support pages and then included text after each screenshot to show what I replaced the options with.

Profile name: PlusTalk
    Service Profile: IETF
    Default Access Point: Your wirless access point or GPRS/UMTS Carrier
    Public user name: sip:<Your SIP ID>@sip.plus.net
    Use compression: No
    Use Security: No
  • Go into the submenu called 'Proxy Server':

Proxy server address: sip:sip.plus.net
    Realm: sip.plus.net
    User name: <Your SIP ID>
    Password: <Your main account password>
    Allow loose routing: Yes
    Transport type: UDP
    Port: 5060
  • Return to the previous menu and go into the subfolder called 'Registrar Server':

Registrar server address: sip:sip.plus.net
    Realm: sip.plus.net
    User name: <Your SIP ID>
    Password: <Your main account password>
    Transport type: UDP
    Port: 5060

Testing your device's functionality
To confirm the functionality of the configuration, there are two easy methods:

• Call the echo test number
    Using the Internet calling facility, dial 7000 from your handset.
  • Make a call to your 0845 number
    Using a land-line or another mobile device, try making a call to your Broadband Phone 0845 number.

We'll try and get this turned into a formal support article for the Help & Support section of the website.
Kind Rgds,
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Yeah,
It seemed largely dependent on the router you were behind though. I've just had to replace my router. Before hand I could get Sipgate working on the N95 but not PlusTalk. Now I've swapped my router PlusTalk works but not Sipgate  Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Chapster
Grafter

Quote from: Ianwild
Yep - download it from our website, tell it your plustalk  username and PW, and away you go.
I've not had much of a chance to play with Fring yet, but on first impressions it looked good.
Ian

Woudnt that be great, a product that works Grin
If truephone works? whats the difference?Is it the STUN thing?
Should the proxy be the STUN server?
Is there any additional ports to allow in on the router other than 5060?
Syd

Hi,
I've followed Bob's posting to configure my Nokia N80. Problem is that I can't set my default access point to be my Netgear router because my handset is Orange. Orange has told me it locks its thandsets so the only access point is Orange Internet. Apparently so does Vodafone and O2, but T-Mobile allows you to set your own access point. before I go unlocking my Orange phone to use a T-Mobile SIM card, can anyone confirm any of this or advise. Thanks very much.
Chapster
Grafter

Hi Syd,
          I'm on Vodafone and can set my Access Point. But i haven't any knowledge of the other providers. I did read something about vodafone locking things, but i think they ended up in court. Grin
Probably a good idea to start a new topic.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Syd
Hi,
I've followed Bob's posting to configure my Nokia N80. Problem is that I can't set my default access point to be my Netgear router because my handset is Orange. Orange has told me it locks its thandsets so the only access point is Orange Internet. Apparently so does Vodafone and O2, but T-Mobile allows you to set your own access point. before I go unlocking my Orange phone to use a T-Mobile SIM card, can anyone confirm any of this or advise. Thanks very much.

Hi Syd,
I was disgusted by this when I first got my N95 (I'm with Voda). I only realised after shelling out for the handset that they had intentionally disabled its SIP functionality. There was a bit of furore about it at the time as documented in the El Rg article here.
The phone allowed you to set up a SIP account and set the default access point. In fact you could even get the service registered successfully. The problem arose after tapping a number into your handset. The only options available were Voice call and Video call. The Internet call option had been removed entirely!  Angry
Needless to say I took my phone to a Nokia service centre and asked them to flash it with generic Nokia firmware. This reinstated access to all the features Vodafone had removed (including animated menu icons!  ???)

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Chapster
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
Yeah,
It seemed largely dependent on the router you were behind though. I've just had to replace my router. Before hand I could get Sipgate working on the N95 but not PlusTalk. Now I've swapped my router PlusTalk works but not Sipgate  Huh

What router are you using Bob?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Peter
Was this done for free or was there a charge involved?

I paid £20 for the privilege. I downloaded the relevant software to do it myself however I thought twice about this as I didn't fancy turning my phone into a brick (I got the N95 the day it came out!).
By the way, after upgrading the firmware on my phone the PC Suite backup would not restore correctly and I had all sorts of issues returning the phone back to the state it was in after the firmware flash. I ended up syncing my contacts from an old 6680 instead which was a lot less cumbersome.
Quote from: Chapster
What router are you using Bob?

A Voyager 2091 at the moment. I had a Zyxel 662HW before that. I've had PlusTalk forking on a BT 2-Wire 1800HG too.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

optiknerv360

I am also having problems setting up VOIP on my N95. I get the same connection error. It will be brill if Fring bring out some software for the N95.
In regards to "Internet tel" being disabled on vodafone and orange handsets this is true. O2 do not disable this feature, its there i just cant set it up. If you have an orange or voda handset here is a piece of software (its free) that allows you to flash the product key on your handset so that you can use "nokia software updater" to load a "non disabled" version of the nokia software.
http://www.b-phreaks.co.uk/software.htm
use the product key "0534841" which is a European generic Nokia code for the handset.
Oh BUT if your worried about the warranty it will invalidate it but short of smashing it to bits you can load the original software back on by changing the product key back.
I have quoted the product key for the N95 but this software works equally as well for other handsets with network branded (and disabled) software such as the n80, N90, N91, N73 ect. just google a product key for your handset.
pcoventry76
Grafter

O2 don't lock their phones, and to prove it i just put a vodafone sim into my new O2 E90 ( worth around £600 at the moment)
SO i could happyily flog it on ebay as unlocked. it's unbranded too
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I downloaded Fring from here the other day and installed it on my N95.
I've not tested it too much but I managed to make a call over GPRS (Vodafone) using a Broadband Phone Beta account.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team