cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'N' wireless problem!!

bubbalicious
Grafter

'N' wireless problem!!

Shocked :oAaaaaaaahhhhhh - Can someone please help before my laptop is turned into a Frisby and thrown the window!!
I have purchased a Belkin N Wireless Modem and USB adapter card, for the reason I need the extra coverage the '802.11n' will give me!  I do also have an integrated adapter on my 2 week old Toshiba Laptop that also is 802.11n but for some reason it won't pick up wireless networks, occassionally it does but doesn't last very long!!!
For now I have disabled the integrated wireless and am now using the USB Belkin N wireless adapter which is picking up my network but is showing it is picking it up as 802.11g only!!  I've changed the wireless mode to 802.11n only within the belkin config settings, the bandwidth to 20/40mhz and yet connecting to my network is still only showing as 802.11g!!!! I have also changed channel numbers and reset the router to factory settings and reinstalled etc and still no change!!
I have spoken to Belkin and they can't seem to give an answer, firstly saying that the newtork adapters I am using are not 'n' but the actual Belkin adapter has 'N wireless' printed on the casing, and is why I chose it!  Belkin have said that a level2 technical adviser will be calling but they sound extremely busy so I'm not counting on that call coming! 
In addition to my Vista Laptop, My Father has an XP Pro laptop, using a Belkin card which is 802.11b. Before I bought the kit I did check with Belkin that my laptop with Vista and the 802.11n, and my fathers with the XP and 802.11b could both connect through the router!  Apparently, yes as long as I select  the Wireless mode to '802.11b&802.11g&802.11n', that statement matches what the user manual states needs to be done to allow for the different laptops. However the Belkin adviser today said those pieces of information are wrong and setting it only to 802.11n would still allow my Father to connect to the router, even though his adapter is only 802.11b!  It's hard for me to work out who is correct, but why would they give all the choices with the wireless mode if putting it to 802.11n would enable all the previous versions to connect?
If any lovely person can give me any pointers as to why I can't seem to be able to connect with the 'n' increased coverage,  I have checked with Bt and our lines are 8mb. I don't know if or when Belkin will call, and whilst I'm trying me best to find out what could be happening and resolve the problem myself,  I am well and truly stuck, getting really frustrated and loosing patience, and my brain hurts!!!
Huh Huh Huh
9 REPLIES 9
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: 'N' wireless problem!!

First, if the wireless router is set for 801.11n only then that is the only connection it will allow so the Belkin agent does not know what he is talking about.
OK, we need to eliminate Vista from the setup (actually eliminating it permanently would also be good but hay ho!). Have you tried the USB wireless adapter in the XP PC to prove if it works with that config because Vista is not very compatible with a lot of devices including USB ones and even if it is they can be very difficult to get working properly.
bubbalicious
Grafter

Blimey,  everytime I have a problem it seems to be something to do with Vista!!!
No I haven't tried the Belkin with the XP laptop, my Father is away at work at the moment and has his laptop with him, so until he comes back I only have the Vista machine!  Maybe I should unplug the belkin and go back to using a wired connection with the Voyager until i can try it on XP!
Thanks for your help I do really appreciate it -  Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Hello again, just been reading an Article in PC Advisor on how to set up Wi Fi, it appears that there is 802.11n and 802.11n, the spec has not yet been ratified, see www.tinyurl.com/mdl68 for a list of certified devices. see you again when I have read the full article
bubbalicious
Grafter

Pierre, We must stop bumping into each other like this!!!! Wink
Sorry I haven't replied to your message - laptop probs again, this time getting on the Internet - its driving me craaaaazzzzzyyy! Thanks for providing the link to the article you found, I am just about to have a browse through!

Anyway re this problem with the 'n', Further to what you found, I found an article that could help me with one of problems I'm having -using the using the Integrated Toshiba adapter. ~Its not giving me a signal above 'fair' if any at all, even sitting the laptop in the same position where the Belkin USB adapter can give an Excellent signal!!!  I always use the WEP 128bit security, will I be ok changing to what this statement says I should do?? I'm really paranoid about doing anything that is a 'security' issue! Shocked
According to a Configfree Diagnostic test I just ran the log shows  I have an 'Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN' on my Toshiba Satellite A200-18M, so presume the statement applies to me?Huh
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/14080/ENG/11.5.0.0_xrelnotes.htm] 
Known Issues
Operating in 802.11n Mode
Intel recommends using security with your wireless network. The Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN adapter can only achieve transfer rates greater than 54 Mbps on 802.11n connections when using AES security, or no security. You should only use no security when setting up or troubleshooting the network.
To enable AES for Personal Security, select WPA-Personal (AES-CCMP) or WPA2-Personal (AES-CCMP) in the Security Settings pull down menu. To enable AES for Enterprise Security, select AES-CCMP in the Data Encryption pull down menu
PS I was right,  Belkin never rang me back!! Cry Cry
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I am nearly in the same boat as you, I have WEP 128, told that no good, any body can break it in 10 sec!.. will both your machines accept WPA, they should do, next connect up with the yellow ethernet before you attempt to change it, if it dont work, you can go back to WEP.
Have you got the Belkin N1 Viion?, PC Advisor rated that as best buy for 802.11n.
Did you look at the Woolworth offer? it was a luverly shade of Barbie Pink.  Grin
luv Pierre
bubbalicious
Grafter

Why can't these things be nice and simple, one thing works all!!
I have looked at my laptop and yes it seems I can set it to WPA, as for my Fathers, bless him he left it in his office!!!!  The one week I need it and have waited all week for him to bring it home and he forgets!!!  Lets just say my 6yr old nephew has a better idea of how to use a laptop than my Father so there is no point me trying to get him to find out!!  But once he brings it home and I can have a look I will see if it does WPA!
Oh what fun!
No I don't have that Vision, my router is a Belkin N-wireless Modem Router & Adapter! 
I did indeed have a nosy at the Woolworths Laptop, loved the colour!!
Cheers again, you are like my own personal 'sorter - outer', Ill have to call you Pierre'll Fix It!!
Have a lovely weekend
sally
PS Camera I have is a Fuji Finepix S5800 and a Canon Powershot A710is - but much prefer the Fuji
DJY007

How do,
My recent wireless-n (-geddit!) issue seems to be very similar to yours.  I too use the same Intel WiFi card, I received some further advice in my 'Wireless Efficiency' thread, and am now doubly suspicious of it!
Role on ratification, or me having the gumption to experiment further as suggested...
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Hi Sallymorning again, since you went of topic, I have a Nikon Coolpix 2500 mini with a rotating lens, great for taking pictures of people without them realisiing it, also for over the heads of crowds, you can see the view screen with the lens pointing another way, trouble is its now developed a few dead spots, so have migrated to a Canon powershot A640, also has a rotating view finder, too many fidly adjustments and you have to take the manual with you to find what you want, not as good as the Nikon for flower closeup, unless I am doing something wrong.  The nikon could get within 2cm of the object no problem.
I have a bucket full of 35mm films in my frezer, dont know if II will ever use them, still have a proper camera some where, probably with a part used film still init, that the beifit of digital, take one and look at it, also in hols snap mode about 1500 shots on one tidly card, I used to take 16-20 films on my works trip to Italy and Austria., see the bizarre transport thread in General Chit Chat for some of them.
Pierre
bubbalicious
Grafter

OOOOOooooooooHHhhhhhh!  All I want to do is to be able to go wireless, is it so much to ask silly Computer!!!!!
Thanks to everyone who has tried to help! I gave up and rang Toshiba - after all they put the blinking thing in the first place!!
Yet again they say the Plus.net and the Bt Voyager musn't be compatible with Vista, of course that's why prior to this laptop I was using the BT voyager on Plus.Net for the last 6 months with Vista as my OS without these problems, and I am getting the same problems using a Netgear and a Belkin router!
Then they decided it was the firmware, but that hasn't helped so now a '2nd level technician' will be calling me back on Monday???  If I get any reslove I will pass it on over the forum-its quite a relief to know it isn't just me that has this problem!
I must admit, I did uninstall the integrated adapter tonight and let it reinstall itself and I have managed to get a connection with a better signal (but I soon lost it) but its progress!
I've got a feeling my computer doesn't like me, I tried tonight to update the display driver and download some updates for some Fuji software I use with my camera and each download I try is saying it has between 8hours and 24hours time remaining of the download!!  Surely that must be wrong, saying that a speed test shows I am only getting 3.1mbps on a 8mb line, I just hope come monday that Toshiba put all this together and know what is happening!
I'm off to feed my hedgehog thats living in our sunlounge, but thanks everyone