cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

N-router compatability

SteveZeroblue

N-router compatability

I need to extend the range of my router as i live in a converted chapel with thick walls. Rather than getting a booster I was looking at upgrading my wireless router to the new Ultra Range N-Broadband technology (such as from Linkysys). Does anyone know if this works with Plusnet and has anyone had any experience with N-wirless technology?
6 REPLIES 6
mal0z
Grafter

Re: N-router compatability

I've tried a Netgear 834PN is a church, and although fine inside the main strycture - the thick walls means you get little signal even a few meters outside the walls.
http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_modem_router_dg834pn.php
No amount of clever wireless technology will allow propagation through thick stone.
Maybe a better solution would be either a wireless repeater system, or a wired network with several wifi boxes.
Just how many rooms do you want to cover ?.
Bud
Grafter

If you are wanting coverage in specific rooms you might be better with some homeplug devices.  You would need to use an ethernet cable from the homeplug to the laptop or PC but would be a lot more reliable than a wireless signal with thick walls.
SteveZeroblue

Thanks for the suggestions.The main thing I want to do is link the media centre in thelounge to the router to stream TV/i-player etc. Is it possible to have two wireless routers linked together as I could hard wire the second router to the media centre? I have a SONOS networked music system that forms a network each unit building on the next one, and that works well through the walls all over the house.
What is a homplug device?
Cheers
Bud
Grafter

A homeplug is a device that uses your mains wiring to transmit the ethernet signal.  You would plug one of them into a mains socket near your router and plug an ethernet patch cable from your router to it.  Then in the other room you would plug the other one in near the device you want to access your network and run a patch cable from the homeplug to the device.
mal0z
Grafter

Homeplug:
The WGXB102 Range Extender Kit can provide you with wireless access through any power outlet in your home, with no visible cables to interfere with your home decor.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/extra/wallplugged_range_extender_wgxb102.php
SteveZeroblue

Thanks for the tip on homeplugs, i remember reading about them a while back and forgot about them (i guess i thought they weren't up to much at the time) but will give them a try. I will need to lose something from one of the 4 ports at the back of the router but worth it if it works.