cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mysterious happenings!

Javert
Grafter

Mysterious happenings!

Have got a bit of a mysterious happening – which might be caused by my wireless router (Netgear DG843G v4) and / or the Edimax Wireless Hi-Gain USB Adapter.
Early Monday morning I did an hour or so surfing and then did a little writing.  Went back to the Internet – and there it was gone!  The connection was no longer there – the monitors icon had the red cross through it.  Checked the router and everything was OK; and basically nothing had changed.  I switched the router off for about 30 seconds, switched back on – but no joy.  Tried my laptop, with the same result.  This “drop-out” occurred at about 07:45; I later phoned +Net to make sure there was no problem their end (I knew that I had paid my bill!).  Also tried my laptop - with the same results. Eventually, some six hours later – the connection returned – and everything was hunky-dory!
The same thing happened this morning at roughly the same time (sadly I’m an early morning person).  Did the same checks – but to no avail. Later in the day I met an IT guy from my last place of employment.  So, I picked his brains (probably not a good idea!).  He declared it was the router which I’ve only had it two months.  Rang the engineer who set this up for me – “It’s your ISP – they’re cutting you off for some reason.”  Huh Err right! I didn’t get back online until earlier this evening – and everything is great – but tomorrow morning is looming closer!
The only other thing that I can think of is – as the above has happened twice at roughly the same time, this could suggest something is disconnecting / switching off it off. I have Kasperky Internet Suite (which I’m not really familiar with) – and am wondering if something is happening within its Security Suite.  This thought is prompted by the fact that last week, there was an update to Security and I then found myself blocked from the message boards I use, the news sites – Google and BBC,etc.  Had to email their Tech Support – and it turned out that the update had included stuff for the Parental Control part – and this had “set it into action”.  Cry
Sorry for rambling on a bit but, not being very technical . . . it isn’t easy to explain.  Any thought, please?

4 REPLIES 4
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Mysterious happenings!

The Netgear Routers have a facility to schedule connections (mine is V1 but I assume later versions have the same facility).
You haven't by chance turned it on have you. Log-in to the router, 9th or 10th item down the list of pages on the LHS - marked schedule.

Otherwise let us know what the lights are doing on the router when you are disconnected, and what the Router Status page says about the connection status.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Have you got a handy ethernet cable to try when this happens?
My first reaction to what you've described is that it's a wireless issue and nothing to do with broadband at all. This could well be interference, perhaps caused by someone nearby turning equipment on that uses the same channel or is badly behaved in some way.
samuria
Grafter

When it happens again we need you to check the following
first download netstumbler from http://www.netstumbler.com/ its free. Check any other wireless in your area and see if any are on the same channel as you
When it drops try pinging the router from both pc's
Using netstumbler can you see the router or if any new routers are now present and what channel they are on. This will also show up any noise and this could be something causing the problem. If its about the same time every day  try using netstumbler before as you may see something happen if you keep watching
If you can get to the routers page note the stats and does it say connected can you ping the internet from the router.
If you can get to the router via wireless try a cable if you have one can you now get on the internet?
Javert
Grafter

Thanks very much for the replies – it is greatly appreciated. However, I think they are a bit too technical for me – it’s a bit like driving a car – I can do that, but as for what goes on under the bonnet – I don’t have a clue! It’s similar for me using a computer.
I did d/l the “NetStumbler” which immediately warns that “No wireless adapter found”.  However, I’ve been online since around 5:30am – and it’s been going great guns!  Will keep a check on it – hopefully (says he – with everything crossed!) whatever the problem was, it’s rectified itself.
John