cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MySQL connection via PC app

Chapster
Grafter

MySQL connection via PC app

Is it possible to connect to my MySQL DB with an app running on my local PC, or is it only accessible from CGI server ?
I have added the settings, host = rumpus or humbug.plus.net username=*** password =*** etc and tried connecting on the default port 3306. But i get an error, cannot connect.
Can you confirm the port setting?
I cannot add the database name to the connection settings of this app until i have connected to the server.. is that the problem?
11 REPLIES 11
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: MySQL connection via PC app

Hi there,
This certainly used to be possible (and I'm not personally aware of any changes we've made recently to lock down access). What application are you trying to configure?
I have added the settings, host = rumpus or humbug.plus.net username=*** password =*** etc and tried connecting on the default port 3306.

Which server should you be using? You mention both rumpus and humbug in your post? You will need the full server name which will be /either/ rumpus.plus.net /or/ humbug.plus.net.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Chapster
Grafter

Hi Bob,
            The Program is Auto Backup for MySQL pro edition 2.1 by swordsky. I have successfuly setup up for another host so it cannot be a firewall issue.
I think its because i cannot add the database name in the settings.

Error is
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

have you entered the username as it appears blank to me?
Chapster
Grafter

yes but didnt want anybody on here to know it Grin
pberry
Grafter

Your username should be your standard account username.
Your password needs to be the long string that you will have been emailed when you first set up MySQL access with us (note that it can't be changed to something nicer).
Chapster
Grafter

Quote from: pberry
Your password needs to be the long string that you will have been emailed when you first set up MySQL access with us (note that it can't be changed to something nicer).

I can access the database using the the Username and password that was emailed, using myPHPadmin. The Username and password that was emailed is applied to the above settings.
The Test connection then tries to connect, giving error and i suspect its not allowing me to view all the databases on rumpus.
Chapster
Grafter

Can i add the database name to the settings eg rumpus.plus.net/databasename
pberry
Grafter

Quote from: Chapster
Quote from: pberry

I can access the database using the the Username and password that was emailed, using myPHPadmin. The Username and password that was emailed is applied to the above settings.
The Test connection then tries to connect, giving error and i suspect its not allowing me to view all the databases on rumpus.

I've downloaded the trial version of what your using from their site and get a successful test connection and when proceeding to the next step it shows me all the tables under username_visp (which in my case is pberry_pn). You won't get all the databases under rumpus or humbug, as each customer only has one and can only see and use that one.
Chapster
Grafter

Sorry for wastin everbodys time  Embarrassed Embarrassed :-[just reapplied password ok now
Chapster
Grafter

How come everytime i post on a forum i end up redfaced because its something silly (like a password). I rarely use forums this is about the fifth time i have ever started a topic in 8 years.
I suppose the answer is double or even quadruple check you have added the correct username and passwords Grin Roll_eyes
pberry
Grafter

Quote from: Chapster
How come everytime i post on a forum i end up redfaced because its something silly (like a password). I rarely use forums this is about the fifth time i have ever started a topic in 8 years.
I suppose the answer is double or even quadruple check you have added the correct username and passwords Grin Roll_eyes

You'd be surprised how you can arrive at an answer simply by talking about it (externalising your thoughts). Happens to me all the time. Smiley