cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My web space

WILT
Grafter

My web space

I recently uploaded a pile of image files as an excercise in accessing my web space with a view to eventually finishing and uploading a small gallery site to this web space. The fact is I know the files are there but i cannot access them .In fact I cant see anything except
the PlusNet " proxy "holding page ,I can't even find the /htdocs or  /index.html  files .I know its something stupid  Roll_eyes that I must have done initially but could someone advise me on how to start over and get the webspace useable
WILT
10 REPLIES 10
mal0z
Grafter

Re: My web space

Did you make your new home page index.htm or html
try to upload the home page as both .htm and .html
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

How did you upload them.
If it was via ftp can you see them when you ftp in
This is the login I use with FireFTP (Firefox) - replace the blacked out bits with your username
Account name  ftp://username@ftp.plus.net
Login your username
Password - your account password
WILT
Grafter

Oldjim,
      Thank you
The files are indeed accessible  by  typing the ftp address with the @ in the middle into the mozilla address bar and they are in the correct order i.e htdocs/ indexhtml/ sub directories /files. But when I try to visit the web space using an ordinary http:// address it just shows the proxy "intro" page. and when I try to use a simple ftp program I just get 2 dots of an unamed directory.
WILT
Grafter

As an adjunct I decided to download the Mozilla FTP program and use that to access the site but I am still doing something wrong in the setup
because it will not connect to the host .Could you go through the setup process so I can check my settings for instance is the host name 
"plusnet"  etc.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That is the problem.
The directory structure should look like this (I have blacked out the sensitive bits).
Note the file index.html in the htdocs directory - that is where it needs to be
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Host is as the first picture ftp.plus.net - this the screen you see when you select Create an Account
I have assumed you are on Plusnet - your account is username@plusdsl.net
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the index.html file is where the browser looks if you just give the directory name.  if you give the full directory   you should get a list of all files in that sub directory
and dont forget its case sensitive
I.E. my sub is Images and not images
WILT
Grafter

Well ,
            Ive managed to replace plusnets'  index.html with my version and if you type the web space address I am now getting that page,so I've made
(by my standards at least ) some progress  .I shall now have to go back into my web site creation software software and refine everything and sort out all the inter-related directories etc. NIGHTMARE. I presume when all this sorting is complete I erase all the existing  defunct directories and files and offer the package up to plusnet to be hosted.When this happens can I chose the site address to be that of my registered domain?
mal0z
Grafter

What website creation software do you use ? -
If you change a file name or move it - doesn't it update all the links automatically ?.
I've only used Dreamweaver for the last 5 years so maybe that just spoils me at it most certainly does maintain site links.
WILT
Grafter

I am currently trying to knock together a gallery type website using  " WYSIWYG  webuilder " It seems to work O.K. you can design your page then export it as a html and view it in your browser and the page links work O.K.
Its just the usual learning curve thing.
    Lets face it Computers are really stupid they never guess what you REALLY  meant and they're SO pedantic about syntax  Wink   
Thanks for the help so far everyone, Ive no doubt I,ll do an "Arnie" before long  I.B.B.
        WILT