Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My overnight use is very high

FIXED
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: My overnight use is very high

Our router seems to forget these devices if they're not seen for a while - eg the lease period i think (well assuming). I don't know if it records them internally for future reference if they reconnect but they don't show up on the network page.

From that I would assume that your router would be similar but it may well just display everything that has ever connected.

Either way though, 60GB is a hell of a lot and still suggests bandwidth theft.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fenster
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Three devices in use, set top box, mobile phone and desk top computer which is connected by ethernet. I use Powerline too if that is relevant to any security issue. Been working and looking some of those unknown could be old devices perhaps.

My mobile phone mac does not appear one the list at all! Odd

thanks

Fenster
Rising Star

The Humax is long gone now it was a FreeSat box but never had that download what it guesses I may like to see, too old but the device takes care of one 'unknown' thanks.

Fenster
Rising Star

My Humax is old and gone now. Settop in use had for a few years, Freeview, don't watch a lot of tv and it doesn't download on the off chance i may want to watch, hasn't got that feature, thanks

Fenster
Rising Star

Switch off my settop? Yes I will do that though it's not like those Sky or Virgin ones that download stuff just in case, does not have that feature.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Fenster wrote:

. I use Powerline too if that is relevant to any security issue. 

This could be the missing link. Have you password protected these? It is not unknown for neighbours who also have powerline devices accidently using others connections due to the password not being securely set. Either refer to the handbook or look up the manual on line to find out how to do this. Either change the password on the Powerline devices or switch them off. Concentrating on WiFi could be a red herring.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Fenster
Rising Star

Can not find anything on powerline in computer ethernet settings "use 802.1x security for this connection"
see attached pic -

Baldrick1

You have to log into the powerline device to set the security. This is generally done through an app. What make powerline devices do you have?

Moderator and Customer

Fenster
Rising Star

I think a company called Solwise but looking at their site it's all changed, mine are 200m plc passthrough (so you till have something to plug without losing socket). I do remember having that software to see the Network and tools to alter things for Windows, worked fine. Don't have windows now though, use Ubuntu Linux so no app. All computer seems to see is the ethernet connection.

Im going to try change SSID and password  tonight, hope can get online tomorrow

thanks

Baldrick1

Hopefully the change of SSID does the trick and solves your problem. If you are still getting high unexplained usage then do a Google search on the phrase 'powerline picking up neighbour' and you will see what I am bleating about.

If you can't set up the security on Powerline devices then I would suggest that you consider the option of installing a CAT5E ot CAT 6 Ethernet cable instead.

Moderator and Customer

Fenster
Rising Star

Hi, I changed the SSID and wireless password also changed the pass to login to the modem, those all work but it would not let me change the "Admin" name, said something like I need to contact someone with more rights to do it. Computer connects and tablet and mobile though neither show on the list. I will see how it all goes and look at changing the ethernet cable. Thanks for sticking with me on this thorny problem.

Fenster
Rising Star

Thanks to all who have worked on this problem here, much appreciated.
Will leave this a couple of days before marking it solved if that's ok, just in case. If not tell me and I will mark it solved.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

No problem @Fenster

Don't mark it as solved until you're happy it has been. Otherwise people will assume it has been and may not respond.

Fenster
Rising Star

Thanks Alex. One last question, can Plusnet disable my midnight to 8am use of internet?

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I'm not sure if PlusNet's systems can implement that. Unless you don't pay Tongue

Depending on your router, you may have an access control timed option on there. I was reading another thread on here where someone has done that on (I think) a Hub One.

I would try and keep it at a router, and not ISP level. Least then you're in control if you need to make changes.