cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first post! And a problem already! Doh!

ImpretSir

My first post! And a problem already! Doh!

Hi all.
My Plusnet connection just went live yesterday. My router is connected to my desktop PC via Ethernet, and all is well there, and our laptop seems to connect wirelessly OK too. However, I also bought a wireless adaptor for the PC, and the thing refuses to connect, (XP telling me "there is no or limited connectivity" , even though Plusnet link quality and signal strength are recorded by the wireless adaptors configuration tool as being at least 92%, and the router is about three feet away from the PC! The PC just wont connect to any websites at all. Now you might ask, why dont you just use the Ethernet connection then? And you would be right, but I just want to understand why the silly wireless gadget wont work. Tried installing its drivers twice, with identical results. Does it matter if an Ethernet cable is still connected when you try wireless? I tried plugged in and unplugged, with same result.
Angry Cry
19 REPLIES 19
Emma
Grafter

Re: My first post! And a problem already! Doh!

Hi there
Are you absoluately sure the wireless code is typed in correctly?Huh
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Have you tried installing the software for the wireless adapter - assuming there is some
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I would remove the Ethernet cable first, XP isn't that clever when it comes to having 2 ips on the same subnet.
Do you have an ip from the wireless adapter? You say it is seeing the router, fine, but is it connected?
If you could open a command prompt and type "ipconfig" into the window and copy the results here we maybe able to help more.
Also with ONLY one connection live if you type "ping bbc.co.uk" into the window what results are shown?
NB the above commands should be entered WITHOUT the "''s
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

ipconfig/all gives a little more info particularly with multiple network connections Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ImpretSir

Wow, so much help so soon! Thanks very much folks!
To answer as many replies as possible,
Old jim, yes there is and yes I have, thats how I know that it sees the router and connects to it, and also the plusnet signal strength.
Emma, forgive me, newbie to broadband here, can you explain what this means, and how I check it?
Also biker955, (got a Tumpet by any chance, same here?!) I tried ipconfig, got a box that disappeared in a flash, before I could read anything in it! as above, can you explain exactly what you mean by an ip, and how do I check it?
Once again, thanks everybody.  Wink
Denzil
Grafter

ipconfig is a DOS utility which will give lots of network information. Presumably you are going to Start/Run and typing it there? instead, go toStart/Run and type cmd first. You will get a window where you can type more commands, and it won't disappear. What Emma means is the passphrase for the wireless security. You need to have the same security setting on the router and on the PC, and you need to check the passphrase set on the router is typed exactly the same on the PC.
AN IP address is a unique code that identifies your computer on a network. You will have a web IP address, which is assigned by Plusnet, but you will also have a local IP address for each PC on your network. The ipconfig command will tell what the number is, and might show what the problem is.
Click <a href="http://www.ncsu.edu/resnet/windows/ipconfig/">here</a> for some illustrated instructions.
Edit: oops, fixed link
ImpretSir

Hi Denzil,
Thanks for that.
The info produced by iconfig was as follows:
DNS suffix....lan
IP Address....192.168.1.64
Subnet Mask....255.255.255.0
Default Gateway...192.168.1.254
I should point out that this was carried out without the adaptor in place, ie connected via cable.
regards
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: ImpretSir
Also biker955, (got a Tumpet by any chance, same here?!)

Yep got an ST 955 like the pic, currently on an SORN  Cry As I cant afford the insurance/tax/petrol/etc
ImpretSir

Ive got a sprint RS, also on a sorn for the winter, soon be time to wake her up for the lovely long hot summer we are about to have, )please God!)
adie:quote
ImpretSir

Denzil,
I just did the ipconfig test with the wireless adaptor in place, and got these results.
DNS ...Media disconnected
Ethernet adaptor wireless network connection:2
DNS suffix: (blank)
Autoconfig IP address: 169.254.107.57
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: (blank)
Any ideas? I am still getting the "you have little or no connectivity..." message from windows.
regards
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Shows that you have connected to the router but the IP address 169.254.107.57 hasn't been assigned by the router.
I would check as Emma suggested that you have typed in the password correctly, it is case sensitive and 0 and O's are correct.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: ImpretSir
Autoconfig IP address: 169.254.107.57

That ip shows that IT doesn't have an ip address *Silly eh* XP will put in an 16.254.x.x address if it cant get an ip from a dhcp server (i.e. your router)
As suggested check that you have the correct password/protocol set (WPA/WEP/WPA 2 etc) in the wireless setup, I would open the wireless control panel and re-enter all the details for your router.
ImpretSir

At the risk of really straining your patience, can you talk me through password/protocol setting? When I installed my wireless adaptor it had a network configuration utilty on a CD that (I thought) was supposed to achieve this for me.  Embarrassed
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Sure you're not straining anyone's patience Smiley
When you connected to the wireless network is should have asked you for a password.
On the underneath of your Plusnet supplier router is the password you should have used.
To re-enter this right click your wireless connection icon and select view wireless networks you should then see the plusnet connection, click connect and enter the password as shown on the router.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'