cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My eyes are dim:I cannot see. Monitor why are you cruel to me?

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: My eyes are dim:I cannot see. Monitor why are you cruel to me?

Nobody seems to have suggested this option:
Set the display resolution to 1280 x 720
This will make everything 50% larger whilst maintaining the correct aspect ratio.  Of course this makes 1/3 of your pixel workforce redundant so you'll lose fine detail but it may well give a better overall result than fiddling around with font sizes and zooming.
Remember to set the display resolution back to 1920 x 1080 if you want to watch something (film.TV download) in HD.   
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

This is why:
Quote from: HPsauce
It's nearly always best to run the display itself at "native" resolution and adjust with other settings.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

But why, HPSauce???  I've heard the same dictum parroted elsewhere and I can see that every third pixel doesn't have a useful role to play but is that so terrible?  You've maintained the correct aspect ratio and everything should look 50% bigger.  With older (lower native resolution) LCD displays it often is not possible to find a resolution that is 1/2 or 2/3 of the native resolution so perhaps that is how a myth got established that it isn't worth trying???  In this case you can and so I think it is worth a try. 
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Because of the way interpolation works on LCD displays.
On CRT's it's a fairly safe thing to do and is often very effective, because basically you're just moving/stretching across holes in a shadow mask (or the equivalent).
On LCD's some logic has to be applied on how to average out or interpolate every pixels colour and brightness and information is almost inevitably lost because that generally is done inside the display and isn't too clever.
If you want to see how "clever" logic CAN be on LCD's have a look at how Microsoft enable "Clear Type", that is both subtle and effective.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

But surely in this instance we have selected a resolution that is exactly 2/3 of the native resolution making interpolation trivially easy?  For example, something that would be rendered as 088880 over six pixels might become 048888840 over 9 pixels so the edges might be blurred but is that so terrible if everything you were having trouble reading becomes 50% larger? 
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Just try it - it will be better or worse.
If better, then keep it.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pierre_pierre
Grafter

right click on a blank bit of screen, the  option should be there
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I can't do it myself because (as we established earlier) I don't have a 1980 x 1020 monitor so it's up to lucerne to report back his/her findings.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Actually I found no method works perfectly. Some sites, whatever method used, do not resize visible print, except by the use of control plus + or - to enlarge/reduce. I suspect them to be ones that areoriginally  set 4:3   
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.