cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My cop out

ArthurDent
Grafter

My cop out

Yeah, well I've gone back to (believe it or not) Win8.1, the oddities of which I've sort of got used to.
Win10 came up with a couple of  inexplicable glitches, so folks said Do this' 'Do that'. However I've bottled out and decided to revert within the 30 days. Will make a further attempt later.
When MS started this roll-out they convinced me that it was going to remove all household stains. Should have known better at my age.
My point, if I have one, is that the 50 pages of stuff here have been posted for the most part by you guys who enjoy delving around in the entrails of software and hardware. But MS have now presented their latest wonder product to the whole worldwide market, including us people who just want to use the darned machine not have to engage in brain surgery (OK, a mixed metaphor). 
12 REPLIES 12
nadger
Rising Star

Re: My cop out

Not that I intend to revert but how difficult was it?
I'm approaching the 30 days and have been more than happy with Win 10 which actually got rid of some glitches on my low end HP laptop,
All I want these days in a machine that works  Smiley
ArthurDent
Grafter

Nadger
The original Win10 installation on my mid-range Dell desktop (with shedloads of disk space etc) had been done by the bog standard route,rather than a clean install.
Reverting was quite easy, and everything seems to have come back to the way we were. Being of the cautious persuasion I had backed up lots of stuff, but haven't needed to make use of it.
Interestingly, MS said it might take some time, but actually it was far quicker than the Win10 installation.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

If you read the Microsoft support forums there are clearly some people for whom reverting back to their previous version of Windows has not worked perfectly.  It's impossible to tell what percentage of people have problems.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@ Arthur Dent....
YUP !...  I agree whole heartedly with your post...... why Microsoft decided to go the Linux route....  ( make life as difficult as poss for the non-nerds)  Cheesy  I just don`t understand.... they fanfared this new O.S. as if it was going to be the "bees knees".... but it has turned out to be the worst thing they ever did....  Of course.. it is not really intended ( I think ) for computers or laptops...but for phones... so we are going to be in the minority and who bothers about them.....
@ Nadger.. Can`t remember how I did it....... I think I followed the instructions on the Microsoft W 10 site.... "how to revert back... " or something.... if you google it... there is bound to be a "how to"  somewhere... it was basically, just a few clicks on things.... and let it happen.... As  ArthurDent said... it was a lot quicker to revert back to Win8.1 than it was to "downgrade" to Windows 10...  Cheesy
and everything was as before...
however... I went the whole hog.... and removed the HDD from my nice new laptop.  and installed another one... then installed Win 7 Pro... as I consider that to be the best "UPGRADE" that I have done... ! 
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

@ad
I bet the worst bugs were down to the various drives and stuff not showing up...
they haven't figured out the in place upgrade stuff yet so all the old drivers are still present but the new drivers are added and assigned different channels so the stuff doesn't work (which is a big problem and affects usb and cd/dvd/hdd's) had they  wiped the os files and just migrated the non default windows files over to the new locations then it would probably of been a better job but I don't think they figured out how to scan the drive and perform surgery like that automatically yet/
I had several problems on the two machines I did an inplace upgrade (keep all the old stuff on) but no problems at all on the two machines I did a clean install onto which is probably why so many people cant understand the problems arising when their primary interactions are with "as new" devices
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: nadger
All I want these days in a machine that works  Smiley

So use Win7 Pro.. without any CIA sponsored updates  Tongue
We have two win7 machines. One is home premium, one is pro. The home premium machine has had windows reinstalled ONCE since 2010 and remains faultless. The only reason it's not in daily use is simply that it's single core and despite a ram upgrade to 4GB, it couldn't do what i needed of it.
The other is Win7 pro. Goes for months being put to sleep and woken again.. without errors like XP would start suffering with. No blue screens, freezes, boot failures etc, it just works.. like magic  Smiley
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nadger
Rising Star

I ran Toshiba laptop for several years running Win7 Home Premium ( upgrade from Vista) and had no real complaints.
As my requirements are fairly basic I don't have many problems with whatever I run.
Having got used to 8.1 running 10 is a doddle  Smiley
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: shutter
...YUP !...  I agree whole heartedly with your post...... why Microsoft decided to go the Linux route....  ( make life as difficult as poss for the non-nerds)   Cheesy  I just don`t understand....

If Microsoft had gone by the Linux route, it would have "just worked"  Grin Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

As usual.... Foxy misreads the posts....        Undecided        again..... Read the bit in the brackets, Foxy  Roll_eyes Huh
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I did - Microsoft appear to be making life as hard as possible.
BTW I saw a witty aphorism the other day...
If you are not paying for the product then you are the product.  Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
I did - Microsoft appear to be making life as hard as possible.

just like Linux.....  Lips_are_sealed
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

But one costs you money the other does not.
Wink
We are born into history and history is born into us.