cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My computer wont work either

penneck
Aspiring Pro

My computer wont work either

Well actually, it is my sons. It is a Packard Bell, which keeps failing after a few weeks of running quite happily. The faults appear to be gradually getting worse. Between us, we have rebuilt the software load 3 or 4 times, but now that it has failed again, I have changed the hard drive.
I loaded XP Home onto the new disk, and it installed without any problems, but having shut down so the power goes off, and then restarted the pc, the pc doesn't seem to want to get past the screen where you hit F2 to go into the BIOS. If I do hit F2, the BIOS that appears is not the BIOS it would normally get, where it tells you what it can see as Primary and Secondary Master and Slave drives, etc. It comes up with a different BIOS (if that is what it is - it looks more like POST) where it says it is trying to find the Primary Drive, but then just sits there.
I'm stumped now. If anyone has any idea what may be going on, I would be grateful to hear their suggestions. I don't particularly want to scrap this pc.
Thanks in advance
16 REPLIES 16
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: My computer wont work either

It mite be your Power supply unit.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Spiders inside it maybe?
(No offence MC, I'll explain if you don't get it  Cool )
penneck
Aspiring Pro

It is not that I dont believeyou. I just dont understand. Why do you suggest the psu? The pc does start and it gets to where it shows the screen where you select whether to go into the BIOS or not. It just doesn't go further.
However, I'll try it. I may be able to borrow a psu from work.
Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I lifted my pond liner yesterday and found the  home of a Apodemus sylvaticus, Didnt know that got there either
HPsauce
Pro

PC's do behave very oddly when the PSU starts to fail, it's definitely worth trying if you can borrow a suitable PSU.
(I should know, I've got a brand new PSU sitting ready for my misbehaving PC when I've got time to swap it in - it took 8 goes to power up this morning!)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

For once pierre_pierre didn't so I will:
Apodemus sylvaticus
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Depends how old your PC is.
Is it still under warranty?
Since you have power it probably isn't the PSU.
How about a defunct battery - does the date/time look dodgy in the BIOS?
Do the fans turn?
Is it really dusty inside?
If so, a gentle going over with the hoover is worth the risk.
Have you tried booting from CD - assuming you can set the BIOS for that?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pierre_pierre
Grafter

didnt have to look for a pic, I can see one from my kitchen window most days, it is a funny little critter. only eats seeds and doesnt do any harm
its nest was under the middle of the pond as was mostly bits of feather and  leaves, just about right for blocking fans
Where is the pic of HPsauces spider
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I saw the same symptoms on a computer yesterday.  It was a loose connection on the IDE cable (that carries data between the hard drive(s) and the motherboard).
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Where is the pic of HPsauces spider

It was Gary's mite  Wink

Anyway, as RR says, check all the cables.
If possible start with a  minimum of cables connected and add devices one at a time (obviously powering off to connect them) if it's initially OK.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

This is possibly not relevant but some time ago my computer would not even show the bios screen let alone load windows but there was a lot of jumbled letters and numbers that appeared on the screen for a few seconds and then the screen went blank.
My first thoughts were a virus. Fortunately the computer had a 2 year warranty and I returned it for repair....... The problem turned out to be a stick of Dram memory that had misfunctioned.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
chandu
Rising Star

penneck,
Just a thought.  You did ensure that the new Hard drive had its jumper set to Primary.  Wink
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Right. Let's try to catch up on all the replies (thankyou for all of them, even the ones about spiders and Ratty).
I've checked my pc and it doesn't have any kind of furry rodent (I said furry rodent - pointing devices don't count!!!). Neither is there any pond liner in there.
I started with the new hard drive set as Primary, but the pc couldn't see it. I checked the old disk and that was set as Cable Select, so I did the same to the new drive. At least that way the pc could see the hard drive. I then booted up with the XP CD, installed XP, and after testing that it worked, I shut down the pc. I restarted the pc, and that was when the not being able to get past the "do you want to access the BIOS" screen.
I have borrowed a psu from work, hooked it in, and the first few hours of using it look positive. However, now that I am satisfied that the problem is an iffy psu, I have the problem that the psu manufacturer doesn't make the old model now (FSP250-60GEN). This may be more important than it seems , because part of its case includes a couple of brackets pressed out of the body metalwork that clip into the pc case to hold one end. These brackets are part of the body of the psu, and are not removable, so while I could get a new psu that is, in the main, suitable for use, I may have problems mounting it.
I have been able to figure out part of the FSP code, i. e. the 250 is the power rating, do any of you know what the 60 refers to, and is there any meaning to GEN. FSP seem to make lots of psu types, but I have never been able to crack the 3-letter code so that I could, in this instance, go looking for a replacement that has these brackets.
Anyway, thanks for now. I appreciate the help.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

How about getting a new case with PSU and putting the guts in to that?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)