cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Pc Has A Queer Problem

Steve
Seasoned Pro

My Pc Has A Queer Problem

So i thought id ask some of you more knowledgeable good folks here if you can answer my weird problem im having with my pc,sometimes when i click to do anything on my desktop the programmes just flash briefly on screen and dont stay on long enough to select where i want to go or what i want to do,im talking nano seconds here?
Graphic card problem maybe?something in my pc not quite pushed in properly?
Your help would be much appreciated..
I thought it was a problem with windows seven so ive installed and now using ubuntu to see if this problem occurs again
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
13 REPLIES 13
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: My Pc Has A Queer Problem

Don't quite understand your problem. Is it the mouse pointer that disapears or do programs run and disappear?
If it is the mouse pointer, and the same thing happens in Linux, maybe your mouse is faulty (button worn out/batteries flat?)
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Hi biker,its hard to explain this,the pc is not crashing,the mouse pointer is on screen and moves to wherever i point,but say i hit the start button,that for a split nano second just flashes up then goes away and does not open the start programme,same if i right click the screen the programme just flashes and then vanishes and it does not start up Undecided
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Sounds like a mouse problem, it is sending double clicks maybe i.e. open menu/close menu.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

No i dont think its sending double clicks,have to watch for that,if it starts doing it with ubuntu ive just installed i will change the mouse and then see what happens,would be great if it was just a mouse problem,its like when you click on something on your desktop instead of it doing whatever you have commanded mines just flashes very very briefly,not even enough to read then im just sitting on the desktop with nothing happening,i thought perhaps something more untoward is happening here ie.my hardware in the pc Sad
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Of-course it could be a virus  Cry
pierre_pierre
Grafter

that could be a sign of unprotected - PC Roll_eyes
hadden
Grafter

To eliminate if this is a mouse issue, why not unplug the mouse and see if you can do stuff using the keyboard only?
Denzil
Grafter

Or just try a new mouse anyway, given how cheap they are.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yes i will try the new mouse,my current mouse is wired,when this issue happens if i press control,alt,and delete the programmes just flash very briefly aswell,its very strange.
Does anyone think it could be a bios problem?
hadden
Grafter

If you have the same problem when using the keyboard, then it is unlikely to be caused by the mouse.
However, I now recall seeing a similar symptom recently on a friends PC that had been infected with a virus. On that occasion, any program would abort as soon as it was started.
[This would support the suggestion by biker955 Wink ]
In that case the PC would start in Safe Mode OK and, logged in as Administrator, a virus scanner (or 3) could be run.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Thanks for the suggestions folks and i will try them out and bare them in mind,i am however not convinced that the problem is to do with a virus,this happens on a clean install after a week or so,and i use antivirus and malwarebytes and im behind two firewalls and also i only visit trusted websites,by two firewalls i mean the windows seven pre-installed firewall and my router firewall.
Mav
Fixes: 514

Is it possible that there is a problem with a sticky Alt key?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Hi mav,im not sure,have to watch out for that one,ive moved back to windows 7,i missed it,so far its not happened but that is a possibility,the keyboard that came with the pc does feel a bit cheapy,thanks for that suggestion