cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My PC does not recogise my Wireless Lan card.

paulo
Grafter

My PC does not recogise my Wireless Lan card.

I rercently bought a smashing used PC to replace my ageing slow PC.  It has an Asus WL-138g wireless LAN card fitted but the PC does not recognise it.  It does not show up on the hardware profile.  I have loaded a driver and the WLAN Control Centre says " unable to connect to wireless lan card. The tray icon will be loaded once the card is inserted."
The Wlan card was working ok when the PC was demonstrated to me when I bought the PC.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.  I am running XP.
I can resist everything except temptation.
8 REPLIES 8
hulls
Grafter

Re: My PC does not recogise my Wireless Lan card.

This may be a daft answer (I'll leave it to one of our experts to say), but have you tried taking the card out and putting it back in (it may have become unseated, when you moved the computer) Huh
John
samuria
Grafter

As suggested take it out reboot with it out, shut down put it back in a different slot it may ask for the drivers. Have you added anything that may conflict with it since you bought it?
paulo
Grafter

Many thank  Hulls and Samuria,  I have tried these ideas although I do not have a spare slot to carry out complete instructions.  I have not added any other hardware so dont think there is a conflict.
Naturally the previous owner did erase all his files and settings and reloaded XP before he handed the PC over but I should have thought the Wlan card would still be seen on the hardware list even if he had removed the driver.  All other aspects of the PC seem to be running normally.
The mystry still remains and further suggestion would be welcome.
samuria
Grafter

Some odd ones wont be seen until you install the drivers try the drivers. Can you not swap the card with another to see if it sees it? You could try the bios and set irg for pci to auto as somtimes something else grabs the irq and the system then cant see it, swap cards around has the same effect.
If there are other cards remove them and just try the card on its own
paulo
Grafter

Thanks again. That seems like a good suggestion. Will try soon.
paulrwselby
Dabbler

I have used one of these Asus WiFi cards and they work well but they definately require the drivers before they are recognised by the PC.
You stated that the previous owner re-installed XP, which does not have native drivers for this card. Therefore if you have the CD that came with the mothergoard/PC you can reload them using that, if you do not have the CD the driver can be downloaded from the Asus site providing you can get internet access, perhaps by using the Lan pport hard wired to the router/modem.
I hope this helps.
Paul.
paulo
Grafter

Paul, thanks for that, will try loading driver again to see if that helps.
Cheers Paulo.
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

Another thing to try is right clicking on my computer and selecting Manage.  Go to Services and Applications > Services and make sure Windows Wireless Zero Configuration is set to Automatic and is started.

Just a suggestion.