Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My PC can't go at 20 Mbps

Wuz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

My PC can't go at 20 Mbps

Dear all,
I upgraded to fibre a month ago and two days later lost all service. After 10 days my landline came back.
Last Thursday an OpenReach engineer visited and my speed went from about 2Mbps to the advertised 20Mbps. So far so good.
We can get that on my small laptop and more importantly the OH`s laptop!
However my PC is struggling. It has Windows 7 Home.
Processor Pentium 4 CPU 3.20GHz
Motherboard AOPEN AWRDACPI System memory 3GB RAM
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Two 75 GB Hard Disks One 19GB free the other 31GB free
Network Adaptor Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Network Adaptor Netgear WG111v3 Wireless-G USB adaptor
Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adaptor
The fibre router is Technicolor 582n
As the PC is used wireless I thought the reason for the slow speed was the Netgear Adaptor which I got with my old Netgear non fibre modem. So I bought a Netgear N300 WiFi USB Mini Adaptor and uninstalled the WG111v3. The new adaptor couldn't find my router, even when it was within sight.
I dragged the PC up to the attic and connected it wired. I still only went at about 5Mbps. The laptop achieved 20.7 wired.
I uninstalled the new N300 and reinstalled the WG111v3. I achieved 0.3Mbps wirelessly.
I then disabled the Realtek Ethernet adaptor and got 6Mbps.
However the ping is all over the place. I tested wirelessly with BT Speedtester
Download Mbps 2.87 Upload o.84 Ping 154.50ms
Second test Download 0.23Mbps Upload 0.6Mbps Ping 97.38ms
I used TCPOptimizer and CCleaner.
This improved things and download is between 8 and currently the highest ever at 15.25 download Mbps and 19.16 on a second test.!!
It then slowed to 9.87Mbps so it is not very consistent.
Cannot understand why the N300 adaptor didn't see my Plusnet router when it saw a neighbours BT Home hub. I tested it on a laptop and it saw the router so there is nothing wrong with it!!
Something needs upgraded but I don't know what. I have just reviewd with task manager and the CPU is running at 100%. Is this normal?
If not I will see if there is a faster processor for my motherboard. If not I will put a new PC on my wishlist!
Its been suggested that the N300 problem might be solved if I  upgrade the router. I had intended to do that anyway in a few months as I find having only 3 port restrictive. Any suggestions? Would the N300 help get a faster wireless connection than the Netgear WG111v3?
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Wuz
PS I tried and failed to close ticket 94687657, so if someone can do that it will help your stats.

18 REPLIES 18
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: My PC can't go at 20 Mbps

The task manager running at 100% is not normal and is almost certainly the cause of the problem. Changing the router won't help
If you do the usual Ctrl Alt Del to start the Task Manager and select processes then Show all users which process is doing the damage
This thread should probably be in Windows but I will wait for your response before moving it
Wuz
Rising Star

Thanks Oldjim,
I had forgotten that way to get task manager.
I have been experimenting and Firefox uses up to 51%, Task Manager 11 - 18%, Plugin Container about 6%, BrStdwnd (Brother printer monitor) 5% and flashplayer  about 6%. There were a couple of 1 -3% such as Avast.
Tried it with ie instead of Firefox and ie11 used up to 39%. It was better because I have no addons with ie.
However they both rarely totalled anywhere near 100% (there was a lot of 0%) as far as I could see as they changed although the total at the bottom was 100% most of the time and rarely dropped below 70% until the speed test was finished. Is it possible that something isn't appearing or showing as 0% when it's not?
The Speed this afternoon seems to be about 3 -5 bps with task manager running and about 8Mbps without.
I also ran a complete Malwarebytes and it found a malware called Bubbles which has been removed.
Both Firefox and internet explorer are up to date.
Is there anyway to capture/freeze a set of  task manager figures so I could give you the actual percentages?
Thanks,
Euz
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Which version of windows do you have
Something is badly adrift
This picture is from mine with the CPU clicked to put the highest users at the top
Moved this thread to Windows
Wuz
Rising Star

Oldjim,
I have been running Windows 7 Home Premium since it came out (previously Xp)
Wuz
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

maybe better trying this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb896653
the windows task manager is meh  Roll_eyes it gives a better view
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If you use Windows 7 you can use the snipping tool to get a screen cap and then paste it into paint then save it and add it to a post using the Additional Options on the lower left of the post screen
Wuz
Rising Star

Thanks all,
I downloaded the sysinternals and took a screen print and attach it. There would seem to be quite a few interrupts when I was watching. - Is that normal?
I look forward to hearing what you make of it. It's mostly double Dutch to me!
Thanks in advance,
Wuz
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Surely it can't be due to the CPU being a bit out of date
This is mine and I have a core2 duo 6750 which isn't exactly cutting edge
You will see the difference
Wuz
Rising Star

Oldjim,
Yes it is different. Attached is a picture of when I am not doing any speed tests and Firefox isn't meant to be running but syshost seems to be doing a lot of processing.
I say shouldn't be running but as you mention in another thread,  it doesn't always close. I thought it was when I had old Mailwasher 2 was open but it seems to be more random.
I have just Googled Syshost and it seems I don't need it and should remove it. Is there anything else that looks like it should be considered for removal?
Thanks
Wuz
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

syshost? svchost.exe is part of Windows and can't be removed. It runs system services, some of which do important things.
Anyway, it seems that the main problem is that whatever program is currently drawing on the screen - even just Task Manager or Process Explorer - is using too much of the CPU time. Have you tried turning off Windows Aero (if it's enabled)?
rpdsvc.exe - RealPlayer? Do you need that?
Wuz
Rising Star

ejs,

I have now turned off Aero.
I thought I needed Realplayer to run BBC iplayer, but it may not be needed now. I shall research it.
Wuz
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Something very wrong there, Process explorer at well over 30% CPU!  Crazy
If I run it on my ancient CPU W7 system it doesn't even register a percentage.
You should change the view so that it shows the hierarchy and what is running inside/under svchost. There will be multiple copies of it running different task groups.
Wuz
Rising Star

Hi,
Yes Windows Explorer and Process Explorer use almost 70%. As I have only installed process explorer to get more detail, I will probably be removing it when I have solved the problem.
Wuz
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Sounds like you need a PC expert to look at it.
I'd start by suspecting: a) Malware b) Corrupt antivirus product.
Did you run Malwarebytes in Safe Mode with Networking?