cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Mum needs to learn how to use an Android tablet...

toggie101
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

My Mum needs to learn how to use an Android tablet...

Hi,
My Mum (over 75) was given an Android tablet as a gift, and now needs to learn how to use it.  Roll_eyes
Does anyone have any recommendations for easy to follow tutorials, preferably free online, or maybe a book.
Unfortunately I live 250 miles away, so popping round to help her isn't an option; and I've only had a few minutes of experience with Android tablets myself, so over the phone instruction is also not possible.
She's comfortable using her Mac for web surfing, email, photos and games but it's taken a few years to get to that point. She's new to the whole touch, tap and swipe onscreen interface; and of the generation where she doesn't want to experiment in case she breaks something. Smiley  She just needs to be shown (several times!) how to do basic things such as interface, email, buying and downloading apps, music etc. from Google. She can surf the web okay, but that appears to be about all. She's tried to learn from her 14 year old grandson, but he doesn't have the patience to teach something that's totally intuitive to him.
Any ideas?
Very many thanks.
Cheers,
Tony
7 REPLIES 7
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: My Mum needs to learn how to use an Android tablet...

Do you know what Android tablet it is, or at least which version of Android it's running?  There are some devices using heavily modified interfaces which could make standard instructions / tutorials next to useless.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anonymous
Not applicable

She might find this instructional video on the correct use of an iPad quite useful -
-1fk>
-1fk
Wink
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Here Is another link for you
; and also an Introduction to google play
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Razer
Grafter

^ Such a poor volume on that youtube video. There are so many youtube uploaders who seem not to know anything about audio normalisation. It really annoys me.
toggie101
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks all for taking the time and trouble to respond, it's much appreciated.
Quote from: w23
Do you know what Android tablet it is, or at least which version of Android it's running?  There are some devices using heavily modified interfaces which could make standard instructions / tutorials next to useless.

Aha, excellent question. Where would she find out what version of Android it is? Is there an 'About' section in the settings screen or elsewhere?
Quote from: Steve_M
Here Is another link for you
; and also an Introduction to google play

That's a good basic start - thank you. I'll check out some of the other tutorials the commentator talks about later tonight.
The volume observation is a good one, especially when the end title music kicks in with my volume turned up to 11…it woke me up a with a bit of a shock!  Shocked
Thanks again. Still very happy to hear other recommendations.
Cheers,
Tony
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: toggie101
Aha, excellent question. Where would she find out what version of Android it is? Is there an 'About' section in the settings screen or elsewhere?

Yes, usually: Settings > About Tablet (usually the last entry in the settings screen (requires scroll-down), amongst the information should be model number and Android version).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Good tutorials and able to hear them also Wink