Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Mouse has developed a mind of its own

Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

My Mouse has developed a mind of its own

Hi
My mouse has developed a really annoying problem it jumps to the other side of the screen with no warning,i am forever clicking on items i dont intend to as for some weird reason my mouse has decided to go to the left hand corner of the screen or the right hand corner there is no set pattern to where it jumps to it can be most annoying when playing mouse based games as well, i have reinstalled the software but to no avail i just wondered if theres a conflict in XP or does anyone know of a fix. I am using a logitech optical mouse..Maybe i should ask santa for a new one ?.Any help would be much appreciated  Happy Christmas to all
15 REPLIES 15
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: My Mouse has developed a mind of its own

When you find out why it happens please let me know as well!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

Hi there,
This isn't happening when it's next to a mobile phone is it?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Err... about 15" away - is that too close?
James
Grafter

Should be fine.
Mines always right next to my monitor and sometimes makes my pointer (and iPod) does some funky things.
The volume on the iPod goes randomly up and down!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I used to get this when I was using a patterned mouse mat, since switching to a plain black one it has stopped.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
zubel
Community Veteran

Try replacing the mouse mat - at a push, try taping a white A4 sheet of paper to your desk/table and see if that makes any difference (I'm assuming an optical mouse here)
Also, if it's wireless, replace the batteries and remove any potential external source of interference.
B.
p.s. - seems like 5 other people posted while I was distractedly posting this Smiley
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

There used to be an "option" to automatically snap the mouse pointer to the other side of the screen if you got to the edge on the other side...if you see what I mean!! uhmm if you got to the left edge of the screen it would "snap" to and continue working from the right side. This was largely a a bit of a trick "feature" and pretty useless as a practical feature, I thinnnk it was a "feature" of Logitech mice. Haven't seen it in any Microsoft setup for ages. The other feature in MS setup is "snap to" which automatically puts the pointer to the obvious next button, which can be a bit disarming if you're not used to it.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'm familiar with snap to and it's not that. It tends to jump to a corner which as I have two monitors you can be wondering where it has gone - I have the radar turned on!
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

I will try the paper thing and see if that helps as it is an optical mouse err not very free running on paper in fact i cant control it at all now think i will find a plain mouse mat...Thanks
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I'm suffering from a similar problem at the moment. Because i use my optical mouse on a desk surface which has those wood stain effect lines on the optical sensor seems to get confused and put the cursor all over the place.
Also something else to note, don't use it on top of anything red. Red completely confuses them.
You said it doesn;t work well on paper... IS it just that it doesnt slide properly? - most mice have little gliding pads on them underneath which helps them glide accross most surfaces. These pickup a lot of dirt and grime which you can normally scratch off with your fingers - mouse slides nicely again Wink

HTH
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
petermaughan
Grafter

Hi!
The easiest way to test for a hardware fault is to swap the mouse for another.  They are so cheap it is not worth messing about.  (£1.41 for a corded mouse from www.microdirect.co.uk)
Best wishes,
Peter
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

A 'customer' of mine, who refused to use a mouse mat preferring the desktop, requested an optical mouse to replace the ball mouse, complaining that the ball was slipping on his glass desk Roll_eyes
Needless to say I supplied a plain mouse mat to go with his Optical mouse shortly after.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

The mouse slides fine on paper just doesnt seem to want to point in the direction you want it to. Think the best solution is a new mouse...
grimme
Grafter

There was a problem with a particular  Dell USB mouse that always made the cursor jump down to the bottom L/H side of the screen.
Others have also reported issues with Dell Dimensions and USB mice, suggestions have ranged from changing settings in control panel and using different mouse mats to getting a new mouse, as in the link below.
http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_other&message.id=288039&query....