cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Laptop disconnects from router at random.

paulo
Grafter

My Laptop disconnects from router at random.

My Sony laptop looses connection to my router at random, sometimes after a few minutes, at other times after several hours.  This happens most days at various time of day/evening/night and I have never found any reason or cause.  I then have to reconnect manually by clicking wireless symbol on task bar, selecting PlusNet then connect.  It then takes about a minute or so to reconnect.

I am using a wi-fi connection to a PlusNet supplied router and a Openreach modem to fibre.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

I can resist everything except temptation.
4 REPLIES 4
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: My Laptop disconnects from router at random.

All sorts of things could cause random disconnections; the problem is the failure to reconnect afterwards.  This could be the laptop or the router, I think.  Do you have any other wireless devices?  Do you have a second router you could use as a substitute.

paulo
Grafter

Thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately I do not have a spare router.  The only other wi-fi device I have is my iPad but never tend to use that for long periods on the net so may not notice if that also gets disconnected.

I wonder if PlusNet will give me a replacement router!!??   I was also wondering if it is the wireless adapter (Atheros AR9285) in the laptop that is the problem.   Might see if there is a driver update for that device that may help.

Mav
Fixes: 515

@paulo

Plusnet may be able to send a replacement router for p&p but you may need to re-contract in order for them to do so.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

paulo
Grafter

Thank you for that May and for showing an interest.  To be asked to renew my contract seems a bit heavy handed just because a two year old PlusNet router has gone faulty. 

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.