cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Must have rescue tool FREE

samuria
Grafter

Must have rescue tool FREE

A beta release of RescueBoot is available to everyone interested in experimenting with a Windows XP/2K disaster recovery environment that operates entirely from CDR/RW media or a protected hard disk directory.
Links to the beta download page and online documentation for RescueBoot are on the company homepage at www.resqware.com. The online docs include quick use information and screenshots of the RescueBoot Windows Environment running from CDR/RW media.
RescueBoot is best described as WinPE or Bart's PE on steroids. The RescueBoot environment is automatically created from your computer's existing Windows XP/2K configuration so all of your storage devices are accessible within the RescueBoot environment. Many of your normal Windows applications, tools and utilities are also available such as: Explorer Shell, Internet Explorer, Wordpad, Defrag, NtBackup, Computer Management Console, various Control Panel applets, RAS dialer and many Windows command line tools.
RescueBoot works by creating an archive copy of the essential operating system files and then makes modifications to allow the archived Windows XP/2K configuration to boot and run directly from CDR/RW media or a protected hard disk directory. RescueBoot will burn the CDR/RW disc for Windows XP users. Windows 2K users are provided with options for creating ISO and hard disk image files that can be burned to CDR/RW media using their existing burning software.
Please feel free to forward this post to any Windows XP/2K users who would be interested in experimenting with this type of disaster recovery environment.

Just downloading and trying it but on paper its the ideal rescue cd and worth getting while its free
4 REPLIES 4
holdtight
Grafter

Re: Must have rescue tool FREE

Nice post thanks ill give this a go having now downloaded it, ive used Bart's PE for most of this kind of usage and found it to
be extremely good
Having now read up on this piece of software it sounds like it could be even more useful

Bill.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Cheesy  Grin
Hi Samurai,  Have fixed the links on my site for you..... so I`m now in your debt again, for scouring out yet another gem for me.... FREE  my favourite word..... I have just downloaded the program, and will hope that I never need it, BUT like fire insurance.... it will be nice to know it`s there.
shutter
Community Veteran

UPDATE ON RESCUEBOOT.

Just downloaded this software, took about 10 minutes start to finish, got an email with the install instructions, and also an attachment with the "unlock" code.  saved this to desktop.  Ran the installation, and then copied and pasted the "icon" of the attachment from desktop to the folder containing the RescuBoot. it unlocks it automatically..... no need to open the attachment, or to try anything else..
ran the first install  and it collects information required for booting to a "basic" windows platform.  takes about 10 minutes.... then you are required to re-boot, and use the Rescueboot option when your computer re-boots..... ( my laptop did a "hang" during shutdown, so I just held the power switch down until it shut off)
On re-boot, move the option to Rescuboot and press enter
the computer will reboot similar to "safe mode" but in "normal resoulution" and the Rescuboot screen shows it is taking notes, and finding the things it needs,  takes about 10 minutes.... on completion, yoou are requested to check a couple of thing are working ok, so that the program knows it is doing its job.
Then you can close down..... and re-boot to "normal Windows XP"
Rebooting presents the screen with the choice Windows xp highlighted, you can just wait, or press enter, and it all re-boots normally.
Seems an excellent "back-up" boot system to have available.....
I consider myself to be "mediocre" at fixing problems on my own machine, I can fit a new hdd and set it up and do most thing, but I do not consider I am an expert by any means....  for those who think this might be beyond them, I can assure you, this is a really very easy thing to install and set up, and will give you confidence to "have a go" when next you get a problem, instead of running around looking for a "guru"
Thanks Samurai... Much appreciated.
shutter
Community Veteran

UPDATE ON THE UPDATE
Whilst perusing the posts, I noticed that  Samurai`s orignal post said the program makes a bootable CD...
What it doesn`t say is that after you have done all what I did above, you must then start the Rescue Boot  program again, and you will then be presented with the menu for making your bootable CD....
So I did, and it`s all automatic apart from choosing the option and clicking OK... SIMPLE !
Cheesy Roll_eyes Cheesy