Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Music software

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Music software

This may be a non-starter but maybe someone knows; I'm looking for software that will take a music track from a source: CD/MP3 etc. and convert it into written sheet music (albeit fairly basic; key signatures, chord sequences, melody lines etc.)
I'm of the opinion that the technology to do this has been around for a number of years, but has been heavily sat on by the music publishing industry (amongst others)
Anybody know...?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
3 REPLIES 3
God
Grafter

Re: Music software

I know that you can get software to convert midi files to sheet music.
But I suspect raw sounds is a different story. For starters I think each instrument would have to be addressed individually so you are probably talking multitrack hardware.
Follow this link to see the start of the technology you are looking for:
http://www.finalemusic.com/PrintMusic/features/easyentry/micnotator.aspx
Be3G
Grafter

As far as I'm aware no such software exists, petlew. You can get software which turns a single instrumental part in to a music score, such as the one linked to by God above (or, for something a bit more polished, there's this). What you're asking though is far too complex to be done accurately; it would need some kind of artificial intelligence to work successfully. Your best bet is to find a musician friend who could do it for you, or to just try and source the sheet music already published; www.musicroom.com is a good site for this.
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Thanks guy's, I was pretty sure I'd read something along these lines in a comp mag some years ago in a "news" column, but maybe I'm thinking of something else. I in fact use the musicroom site quite regularly (thanks anyway Be3G) and I was already aware of finale (so thanks as well god)
For the benefit of non-musicians, you can purchase sheet music that will feature (a hypothetical untrue example) a publicity shot of Black Sabbath on the cover of the music for "White Christmas" the written music inside will be as first written (edit: actually published which can also be quite different to as written) by Irving Berlin in 1942. Which bears as much resemblance to the B Sab version as Concorde does to the Wright bi-plane.
Maybe we're on to something here guy's...remember where and by whom you heard it first!!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.