Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Music CD - what file format?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Music CD - what file format?

I want to "rip" some audio (music) from a .mp4 video track and re-record it on a CD to play on a "conventional" portable CD player..... ( the modern "boom box" type).... what file format should I use for the re-recording?
Thanks
( as a point of interest..... from .mp4 files to burning the CD I can get 17 tracks on the CD..) (I suspect that I could get more, if the .mp4 files were smaller to start with... )
6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Music CD - what file format?

You'll need to burn in Audio-CD format. How to do it with Windows Media Player here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/burn-a-cd-or-dvd-in-windows-media-player

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for that..... sorry , but I think I may have confused myself, and you..... what format should I SAVE the ripped audio in ? ?  before burning to a CD for use in the CD player.?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

normally WMA, but will your BoomBox play MP3?, you will get more on the CD if it does
shutter
Community Veteran

The player is not mine.... so not sure what it will play... ( I know it plays "ordinary" current commercial CD music albums ) .......and I don`t know the make or model either ! ... Will have a go at both, and see if it works.... thanks for the advice... Wink
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

A standard CD has music recorded in .WAV format - but you only get about 8 tracks on a full CD.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

Well, Well,Well,..... all is well ..... as I have got a program already that will do the ripping and burning all in one.....
the prog is "A Tube Catcher"....
does more than what it says in the title.....
Thanks for the input guys.  Wink