Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi screen adapters

journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Multi screen adapters

Has anyone any experience, advice or recommendations with USB 3 to VGA connectors to connect an extra monitor.

(like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SuperSpeed-USB-3-0-to-VGA-Graphic-Card-Multi-Display-Monitor-Cable-Adapter...

21 REPLIES 21
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Multi screen adapters

I've no experience of these things - but -

It claims to support a HD resolution, but since VGA is an analogue output, it can't achieve full HD.

If it's a fairly static monitor (eg CCTV) or perhaps only 1024 x 768 then it ought to perfectly fine.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Does the monitor require VGA?  You can get other types of USB converters, such as USB to HDMI.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@journeys - What kind of monitors do you have or what input types do they support? Ideally you'd be looking at a DVI Y Connector or DisplayPort Y Connector.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Hang about, so i don't need some weird graphics card setup with two cards to support my three monitors when there is a usb device out there?

Ace.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well it can depend on the maximum resolution your video card supports and more importantly the drivers used. E.G. If you have two monitors of 1280 x 800 you’d want a video card that had a resolution of 2560 x 1600 and video drivers to get two distinct screen. This isn’t true in all cases of course but is a decent rule of thumb as some driver vendors may not support the option, while others might only allow you to clone the existing screen.

You also need to take into consideration what you intend to do with the two screens. If you want to run a game on one whilst doing other work on the second display then by far the best option is to get two video cards or one that natively supports a dual head.

journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@7up I've ordered one, due to arrive Monday morning, will post how it fares

In the meantime take a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYUdAWOGJ_Y

I'd guess in the youtube example the mouse gets very tired (long trip from Left to Right)

@Anonymous I currently use dual cards with 4 monitors (2x2 Array) all connected thru VGA, I wanted to expand to a 3 x 2 array.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@journeys - I've got to ask you why you need so many? I use this :

Dual Monitors

and losing the mouse is an every day occurrence, but with 4 or even 6!

VileReynard
Hero

How do you find out what the maximum size a video card supports?

It doesn't seem to be a standard quoted figure.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@VileReynard - Well this is normally in the specifications for the card itself, but if you're using Windows 10 you can right click on the desktop select "Display Settings" then select the "Advanced display settings" at the bottom of the dialog. In the dialog that displays there will be a list of resolutions the your card supports, like this:

Resolutions

You should also note that some (if not all) monitors have a preferred resolution, that may be lower than the best resolution of your video card. Do not over drive your monitor, or you may regret it.

VileReynard
Hero

I'll bear that in mind! Grin

It seems I've not been sufficiently thorough with using DuckDuckGo.

My video card doesn't appear to give any info, except the auto-configure stuff it gets from the screen.

Assuming the nVidia specifications haven't been downgraded by its use in some third party video card, I can run at up to 2560x1600 (unspecified frame rate - but probably 60Hz) or 3840x2160 at 30Hz or 4096x2160 at 24Hz.

Thanks @Anonymous

7up
Community Veteran

@Anonymous wrote:

Well it can depend on the maximum resolution your video card supports and more importantly the drivers used. E.G. If you have two monitors of 1280 x 800 you’d want a video card that had a resolution of 2560 x 1600 and video drivers to get two distinct screen. This isn’t true in all cases of course but is a decent rule of thumb as some driver vendors may not support the option, while others might only allow you to clone the existing screen.

You also need to take into consideration what you intend to do with the two screens. If you want to run a game on one whilst doing other work on the second display then by far the best option is to get two video cards or one that natively supports a dual head.

Hi Mook!

You're missing the point - for three monitors I'd need a card with three outputs or two cards with two outputs and thats where it apparently gets complicated as you need something called crossfire i think my mate said? - Sounds complex and frankly with such a limited budget I couldn't be doing that.

If there is a USB way of doing it then i'm happy with that as i don't need it for gaming just programming the odd bit of php / html / pascal etc.

VileReynard
Hero

Many cards come with 3 different types of output e.g.

VGA, HDMI, DVI, Display Port

You just need appropriate inputs on your screens.Cheesy

7up
Community Veteran

Well thats stating the obvious Reynard.

What I'd like to know is this: I have two graphics cards - a quaddro FX 580 (I think) and some other old thing with a low end 256MB or 512MB ram (can't remember lol).

Neither supports this crossfilre / sli thing.

Can they both be used in the same machine at the same time for multiple desktop use? - I don't really do games so i'm not worried about that.

Otherwise i'll go with USB.. although on USB2 that might pose some bandwidth problems lol.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Crossfire is used to combine the processing power of 2 or more graphic cards so is not really relevant to what you are trying to achieve.

Running 2 graphics cards in the same machine isn't a problem.