cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-language manuals and printing English part only?

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Multi-language manuals and printing English part only?

The manual in question is in six languages, English being the first. Each manual's pages are numbered 1 to 25, and each language follows another, the sole distinction being a two letter ID in the top r/h corner of the pages.

I'm puzzled how I may select just the English section to print or save to PDF. Do I just select pages 1 to 25, and rely on the printer's realising it has to limit its activity to English, there being many pages 1 to 25?

Please, guys does anyone have a solution to the problem? All I can imagine is saving all to PDF, editing out the unwanted pages, then printing from the edited PDF, assuming that will be doable with Foxit Reader.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Multi-language manuals and printing English part only?

Normally in the printing dialogue you can select 'range' and enter 1-25.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

I would be very wary about printing pages 1-25. I have known it to print other pages! Like Title pages etc.

Depends what your pdf reader is. I tend to use LibreOffice. Open said pdf, select print, choose pages option, they will appear in the preview so you can scroll on through to make sure it will print the pages you want. Print.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Anonymous
Not applicable

The page numbers you see on the pages i.e. 1..25 (repeated) is just text and not the true page numbers, they will be available internally within the document. It should be safe for you to just print the first 25 as shown here:

Printing pages 1 to 25

Luzern
Hero

I'll work oon the suggestions and info and let you all know the outcome. Smiley

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@Luzern 

There's potentially two issues here. It depends on the formatting of the pages that you are trying to print. It might be that the document includes page breaks that align with your A4 (I presume) printer. If that is the case then as @Anonymous says, the document will be presented to your printer driver as a single 150 page document, not 6 documents each numbered 1-25. So selecting print pages 1-25 will do the job.

The problem that you may get is that the page breaks do not align so that the numbering goes awry and you get an untidy looking document. In this case what I would do is take the hit and:

1. Open a word processor document

2. Highlight Page 1 from the manual and do a copy/paste into the word processor document

3. Start new page in the word processor document.

4. Cut/Paste page 2 across.

5. etc.

It sounds a pain but 5 to 10 minutes effort should hack it.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Luzern
Hero

Managed it, but as said, the pages #s did not agree, but \i got there by counting the pages incl front cover. Now I have something readable to use.

Thanks all.