Mozilla phancies doing a Phorm

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi All
Heads up 
The Phorm bug is spreading. The idea of collecting a user's browsing history and flogging that data doesn't just appeal to ISPs. The Mozilla Foundation, the people behind the Firefox browser, want some of that action too.
The Foundation is officially a tax exempt non-profit - but still manages to pay its chairperson $500,000 a year. Executives last week confirmed they are working on a project referred to internally as "Data". This would gather anonymised data on a voluntary basis, and provide the analytical information for anyone who wanted it.

7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Mozilla phancies doing a Phorm

Bit like Google Toolbar then - and would also be opt in
Now - how about a Google Web Browser  Shocked
geewizz
Grafter

Anonymised
Voluntary

Relax and breathe slowly.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi geewizz
Geeeeeeee you don't seam to care about your Security in UK, or do you?   Shocked
[Edit]
Looking at your reply this post, and your reply to UK shoppers tracked by mobile phone
geewizz
Grafter

My next door neighbour doesn't have an alarm. This doesn't affect my security.
Likewise, I haven't volunteered to have my anonymised data sold by mozilla because I haven't given them any data to analyse (anonymised or otherwise).
Of course, if I was hysterical and paranoid then I would see that this bombshell of a post containing the word "Mozilla" will be traced by Mozilla and both you and I will be dangerously insecure now.
carrot63
Grafter

I agree. As long as there's an off switch that really means off and they explain clearly what they're doing and don't cheat, there's no real problem. Mozilla don't have phorm's track record or company history, and I doubt they'd sink to the depths Kent and his lackeys have plumbed.
Not applicable

Mozilla's approach seems not dissimilar to the car insurance companies who offer you a discount if you have a tracker installed in your car - effectively charging per mile dependant upon the roads you use and the times of day/night that you use them.
Most might not want this sort of tracking of their vehicles movements, but for many its a worthwhile option.
If you actively decide to allow somebody to track your movements, there's little wrong with it. Its when you get no say about who tracks you and what they do with the info that it gets a bit contentious.
Wouldn't want to accuse El Reg of a little sensationlaism now and then though...
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

This thread puts a bit more flesh on the bones - a little bit of sensationalism by El Reg I think http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20506263-Mozilla-phancies-doing-a-Phorm