cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mozilla Firefox

valart
Grafter

Mozilla Firefox

I wonder what you think of Mozilla Firefox browser do you think it is the best,it seems to take a little while for the page to install or is there a better browser for me to use.
11 REPLIES 11
jazz
Grafter

Re: Mozilla Firefox

Mozilla Firefox 3 is a great browser, though I agree that it can sometimes be a little slow to load.  However I like the add-ons (especially AdBlock!) and I find it a very straightfoward browser to use. (I also use Mozilla Thunderbird for my email).  If you are running on Windows operating system or have other Microsoft software installed then you do need to keep Internet Explorer on your system as Microsoft only do their updates via Explorer.
If you want to try an alternative to Firefox then I can recommend Opera which I also have installed on my PC and use use from time.  It is a very good browser indeed but some sites do not seem to deal with it very well (as it is a minority use browser).  If you want to try it you can get it free of charge at http://www.opera.com/
Good luck Smiley
Not applicable

FF3 seems (to me) to load faster than before, although now I have 2GB of RAM so obviously it will be a fair bit better.
I much prefer it to anything else - had a quick peek at Opera but didn't stick around to get used to it. IE7 is too slow and I hate all the clicking sounds when the mouse is used. Also, for some reason it now doesn't offer to save Internet passwords although I think that I have all the relevant boxes ticked (I am using Vista Business Edition).
Firefox is way out in front for the addons, which I just can't do without. My favourites are (as above) Adblock Plus, Reminderfox and Foxmarks. I recently wanted to retrieve a bookmark that I had deleted a couple of weeks ago and when I went into Foxmarks and selected an earlier version, there it was - wonderful!
Denzil
Grafter

Do you mean it is slow to start up or slow to display a page? The download speed of your connection will limit how fast a page will load, of course. Like jazz said, Opera is good for speed. You could also try Google's <a href="http://www.google.com/chrome">Chrome</a>. This is based on Firefox but has been arranged to make more efficient use of the PC's memory so might be a bit faster. They are all free to download, so try them and see which you prefer.
valart
Grafter

I think it is just a slow page because once loaded every page after that is fast
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I know what valart means.  When I open the browser it takes a time for the page to open but then navigating to other sites is fast.  The same applies to Thunderbird where the opening page seems very slow.  I have a new laptop with 3Gb of RAM so I will see if that works any faster.
Having said that I think FF3 and Thunderbird are both excellent.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

what ever you do dont use the free Apple Browser (cant remember its name) it has virtually no security.
Until recently the Firefox browser was far more secure than the MS IE range, however they are now catching up, some say that IE 8 is over the top and too restrictive.
You cant  delete the MS Browser as it is also used by the file system Explore
artmo
Aspiring Champion

One add-on that's available in Firefox allows you to view any page in either Firefox or IE.  It's useful if FF isn't dispaying a page correctly.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I like Firefox a lot. Only aspect I don't like is that the Bookmarks (Favorites in IE-speak) list everything totally alphabetically, individual entries and folders interspersed.
I much prefer the IE way of listing the folders first, then any individual sites. There's a handy add-on which lets you use IE Favorites with FF - 'PlainOldFavorites'
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/668
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

my bookmarks are listed in the order I acquired them, you can also right  click at the top of the list and open like a file list and move them where you want Smiley
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: pierre_pierre
my bookmarks are listed in the order I acquired them, you can also right  click at the top of the list and open like a file list and move them where you want Smiley

Thanks Pierre. I didn't get anywhere by right clicking, but your comment did encourage me to have a further furtle with 'Organise Bookmarks', and now they appear as I want them.  Smiley
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
mal0z
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
what ever you do dont use the free Apple Browser (cant remember its name) it has virtually no security.

Do you mean Safari
http://www.apple.com/safari/
I don't know about it's security - I only use it test my opwn web sites for compatibility with Macs - as far as possible.
I too use Firefox for my primary browser, with Opera used for some things.
Only use I have for IE is to do Windows update checks, and again testing my own web sites