Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mozilla Firefox keeps freezing or crashing

juliasdream
Grafter

Mozilla Firefox keeps freezing or crashing

Does anyone else have this problem?
For no obvious reason my firefox either crashes and shuts down altogether or it freezes up frequently and I have to wait some minutes till it allows me to continue what I'm doing only for it to freeze up again
I've tried backing up with Mozbackup then uninstalling to see if a fresh install will work
I've even tried deleting registry entries using iobit uninstaller before reinstalling
It seems whatever I do this problem persists
Can anyone advise?
before you say try a different browser I have my reasons for wanting to continue with firefox
15 REPLIES 15
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Re: Mozilla Firefox keeps freezing or crashing

Dodgy plugins, inherent flaws in the coding of firefox, and possibly an underpowered computer all contribute to Firefox being a right PITA when it comes to its stability...
If you have to stick to the Firefox platform, try PaleMoon, it's based on firefox and has been re-engineered to actually work reliably, even most of the plugins and addons work perfectly with PaleMoon, I've been using it for the best part of a year and the only issues I've had with it were bad addons, namely Youtube Center which just caused a massive memory leak in both Firefox and PM, but everything else has been perfect and I didn't have to re-learn everything as it's pretty much the same layout and interface as firefox... Smiley
Mav
Fixes: 514

I have found that FF has frequently crashed since versions released from the late 20s.
Also have noticed it freezing occasionally, the mouse buttons work but the mouse won't move. This doesn't last long and I have assumed it could be the mouse battery but haven't checked that out yet.
It's not due to an underpowered PC (AMD fx6100, Radeon 6770, 16GB RAM, 60 +100GB SSDs and over 5TB of internal HDD space).
The only addons running are the English dictionary, Adblock plus and TabMixPlus.
I may give PaleMoon a whirl.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

chrcoluk
Grafter

most likely an extension, as we get closer to e10 rollout, every new version of firefox disables legacy code in preparation and extensions can break.
By the way I suggest ublock instead of ad block plus.
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have a 64 bit OS you may want to try WaterFox, you can get it from here. I have used this for years and it has proved to be very stable and reliable. The cause of your own issues could be many and varied and from what you describe do not have a reliable fix. However, before you install any new browser you must ensure that your PC is Virus and Trojan free otherwise it will be a waste of your time.
You have not made mention of scanning your PC for malware so I would suggest downloading AVG Anti Virus Free and MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware and give your machine a thorough check prior to any new installation or re-installation of your existing browser.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
http://www.avg.com/gb-en/homepage
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

+1 for Waterfox.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
chrcoluk
Grafter

mook I keep meaning to switch to a 64bit fork, do you have a guide on best way to migrate? is it as simple as installing over the existing firefox?
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no guide as such. But for what it's worth I did the following.
Downloaded WaterFox.
Uninstalled Firefox and restarted the PC (after all it is Windows we are dealing with).
Installed WaterFox.
Job done, and never looked back.

chrcoluk
Grafter

ok thanks
dnpark38
Rising Star

Red Herring no doubt, but I use Monzila Thunderbird for my e-mails and Newsgroups that is always stopping Responding for short periods, I put it down to incompatibility with Windows.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
samuria
Grafter

try speedfox this often fixes things http://www.crystalidea.com/speedyfox
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Which FF are you using ?  i have no issues with FF37 .
most crashes are due to Adons incompatibility , also have you cleared you Cache  try Ccleaner .
i gave speedfox a while ago and found it made no difference to me 
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
stoswald
Grafter

Will give Waterfox a try
warbleeder
Grafter

if you using a 64 bit OS (im guessing you are)
use waterfox instead.... its that same as fire fox but made for 64 BIT os and runs much smoother than firefox dose
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Been using Waterfox for quite a while and I'm happy with it.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine