cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving web host

geewizz
Grafter

Moving web host

I have a .co.uk domain name and I have a website hosted. I also have a .com address which is mirrored to the .co.uk site. I'm at my wits end with the host because the site has been missing for 2 days and they are bouncing the emails with a message saying that the mails are being "stored". I called them up and they told me that they are having issues with getting the backups onto the failed server and that any emails in the last two days are probably lost.
I wnt to move the hosting but I'm not sure how much hassle this entails.
1. How do I find out who I have the domains registered with? (I'm not sure if it's the hosting company.)
2.  If it isn't with the current hosting company, what is the procedure for moving the domains to a new host?
I know I should be putting these questions to the webhost but I've had quite enough of their amateur "support" for the meantime.
Can anyone guide me, please?
2 REPLIES 2
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: Moving web host

Quote from: geewizz
1. How do I find out who I have the domains registered with? (I'm not sure if it's the hosting company.)

Ask Sam Spade
geewizz
Grafter

Re: Moving web host

Thanks for that, chilly.
Looks like I have both names registered with the host so that makes things fairly simple. One good thing about this is that I've found out that the .com address is due for renewal in less than a month. I know of a US senator and a Scottish comedian who would both like to get their hands on it .... but it's mine, MINE I tell you!
In other news, they have managed to transfer the domain names to another server but have lost the site and their own backup. Mail is still bouncing like the proverbial rubber ball. The sooner I get a new host, the better.