cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to Vista

russell94

Moving to Vista

I'm currently setting up a new computer using vista and transferring programmes and data files over. Old machine is 8 years old and runs XP Pro. Several problems have occurred. I started with a stand alone hard drive and this worked well for most things but not for Contacts or Favorites. Tried an Easy transfer cable but it wouldn't comunicate and hung half way, so went back to the hard drive. Copying to the hard drive was easy, but vista refused to paste the data into its contacs file. Any advice would be very welcome.
Russell94
4 REPLIES 4
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Moving to Vista

Have you tried using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard?
russell94

Thanks HP Sauce. No I haven't tried the Files and settings Transfer Wizard, I didn't know it existed. But I have tried using an Easy Tranfer Cable - that stopped and hung before transfer, and I have tried a stand alone HD. That seemed to copy but nothing was recognised by the Vista machine. There may be a few odd things about it in that it's quite old with a slow processor trying to run XP Pro with not a lot of memory. But I'll try your suggestion and let you know if it works.
Russell94
samuria
Grafter

Favorites you can copy via floppy disk(do people still have them) or pen drive you can export them in IE and import them on the new pc.
Contacts you should be able to copy them via a pen drive and import them, you dont say what software you are using for this so its hard to advise.
psk10
Grafter

Just a thought , If you are transfering files or folders to a program ,make sure you download the program first and then transfer the files and folders , i used the cable and found it fine .