Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving the start bar

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Moving the start bar

Can you do this? I already moved the task bar to the bottom but would like the start bar on the left side with my daughters account. I installed it while they were away and seem to be getting away with it up to press  Cool I even heard my missus talking to her sister about having W7 on her laptop and my missus said she thinks that's what's on ours  Grin I just kept my mouth shut  Roll_eyes
Daughters only seven though and she keeps instinctively hovering round the bottom left now she'd starting to do a bit more PC stuff at school. I've managed to sway her with the learning educational games in the repos.
BTW while I'm about the linux area can I ask is there something I can do to auto start or shut down programs to run at certain times or to force a shutdown when not there?
4 REPLIES 4
MrC
Grafter

Re: Moving the start bar

In order to help we may need a little bit more information, like what window manager/environment are you using (eg KDE, GNOME, FVWM, etc)  Wink
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Auto run of programs:-
You need to investigate cron or anacron
example:-
crontab -l
# m h  dom mon dow  command
# What is my ip
*/10 * * * *    [ -x /home/jeremy/.whatip.sh ] && sh /home/jeremy/.whatip.sh 2>/dev/null

You would use crontab -e to set this up; this example runs with my authority.
the */10 means at 00,10,20,30,40,50 minutes past each hour a job will run which:-
Checks a file /home/jeremy/.whatip.sh exists, it will be run as a script using the shell "sh" and output will be ignored.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MrC
Grafter

Quote from: A
Auto run of programs:-
You need to investigate cron or anacron

It may be easier for people new to UNIX or Linux to use the graphical scheduler frontend supplied by the particular environment, eg KDE has Settings->System Settings->System Admin->Scheduler (or easier type sched into Run Command window). These tools mean you don't have to learn the meaning of the fields in the various crontab files, or where the files are, and why, and also have the ability to edit system (root) or individual user entries. They'll also provide some protection against screwing up a crontab file.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Assuming Gnome (default in Ubuntu/Mint) log in as the user then right click the bar and choose properties and choose your side.