cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving house, phone number & broadband. Help!!!

PoolHaddock

Moving house, phone number & broadband. Help!!!

Hello there.
I'm hoping that somebody out there will be able to help me with my incredibly frustrating problem.
My partner and I are currently in the process of moving house.  The house that we're moving into is just up the road from our old house, and is on the same phone exchange.  It even has exactly the same postcode.  The new house currently has Sky broadband, phone and TV installed, active and working (until the 19th of Nov).  I'm sure the people reading this who are in the know will be able to guess my problem already.  We have been with plusnet for over a year, and we're now on a rolling month-by-month contract.  This was one of the main reasons I was attracted to plusnet in the first instance, as well as having heard excellent reports regarding their customer service.
I called plusnet on Wednesday the 9th of November to see if it would be possible to have my broadband and telephone line transferred to our new house.  I was told that it would be no problem, as we were on the same exchange, the same postcode, etc.  However, when the gentleman checked our new house on the system, he informed me that he couldn't see an active line at our new address.  I can confirm at this stage that there is definitely an active line, as I have been using it to browse the web and make phonecalls all week.
The problem is that the phone line which is currently connected in the new house isn't showing up on plusnet's system. The explanation I got was that information on some ISPs and call providers is not available on their system. So, despite my assurances that there is definitely a line currently installed in the new house (I could even give them the phone number of it!), they are still having to send out an engineer to install a NEW line at the exchange. The charge for this is £49.99. Because we're having to have a new line installed, we are automatically entered into the begining of a brand new 12 month contract. This means that we will incur a hefty charge if we move house after 10 months (around £65 I was lead to believe by the call centre assistant), as well as having to pay £49.99 to set up a line unnecessarily.
I am considering going with another ISP (even although I am trying my best to stay with plusnet!), however in order to leave plusnet, I will also have to pay a £25 cessation charge!  Seems like I'm damned if I do, and damned if I don't!
My problem is not with the plusnet staff, who have always been most helpful, but rather with the stupid system whereby they can't see the active line which is being provided by another ISP. If the new house's connection wasn't being provided by Sky, we wouldn't be facing any of these problems as plusnet would be able to see the connection on thier system. You can imagine my frustration at having to incur these potentially hefty charges due to something that is completely outwith my control (ie. the previous tennent's choice of ISP!), as well as having to potentially change my phone number.  It's a shame really because I had been singing plusnet's praises to a lot of people, however this episode has left a slightly sour taste in my mouth.
Any help with this would be much appreciated, however I'm growing a bit tired of chasing my tail, and I suspect the easiest thing to do would be to just go with Sky instead, as they are already providing the property with an active line. 
Many thanks,
Daniel.
5 REPLIES 5
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Moving house, phone number & broadband. Help!!!

Hi there,
I'm sorry for the frustration. Do you happen to know if the search was done using a postcode, or did you advise of the number for the line?
If you could advise of the number it'd make for a much easier search, if you're willing to either PM it to me or put it on a ticket on your account we'll happily double check - we should be fine to take over a sky line and it won't cost you £49.99 that way.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
We've found the line for you given the house name and postcode, so you will be able to take that over without any charge to yourself - though we can't place any orders on there until the 20th when the current stop order is completed.
Hope that helps, and thanks for your time Smiley
PoolHaddock

Hi Matt,
Thanks very much for your help with this!  I'm absolutely delighted with the outcome.  Smiley
Shall I call you guys on the 20th to arrange having the line transferred to our new address, or are the cogs already in motion?
Thanks again for your help,
Daniel.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Best bet would be to call in on the 20th I suspect, or raise a ticket detailing the issue (please feel free to reference this thread either way). If you raise a ticket it could be done in advance, depends when you're moving - is it after the 20th?
PoolHaddock

Hi Matt,
That's excellent.  Calling on the 20th won't be a problem.
We're actually in the process of moving into the new house already.  The previous occupant moved out a couple of weeks ago.
Thanks again for your help,
Daniel.  Smiley