Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving house + Keeping fast broadband.

chaoticmess
Grafter

Moving house + Keeping fast broadband.

Hi,
I'm looking for some advice to do with moving house and i guess primarily fibre installation.
At the start of this year I suddenly found out my current exchange and cabinet got enabled for fibre and was the first one to sign up on my cabinet. However about a month later it was decided we're going to move house. This has created a bit of an issue for me because wherever we move to I don't want to lose these wonderful new faster speeds I'm getting.
The problem is the kind of places we're looking at to buy always seem to have the worst estimated fibre speeds when using the BT DSL checker website. Some exchanges aren't even enabled for fibre or ADSL+2.
So why am i here making this post?
Well what I was wondering is if anyone could tell me if there are any options available to me to have a faster line installed wherever i might move to. This way it wouldn't matter where i moved to i could just pay to have a super fast line installed.
The internet is important to me and since this is the last house I'll likely be moving to or at least the house i'll be spending the next 20 years in i want to make sure i can get a decent fast line going to it.
The kind of questions i have are if I can have BT install a pure fibre line up to any house I pick even if it costs like £5000?
Or more importantly if I did have a pure fibre line installed but it was a long distance away from the exchange/cabinet would I see any real benefit in the speeds I get because of the distance?
I've also heard about something called Fibre on demand which seems to be linked to FTTP. I got rather excited when i saw a couple of exchanges i was looking at come up as FTTP enabled that could reach speeds of 330mps. However after attempting to actually look up FTTP to buy no one seems to actually do it, least not on a mainstream consumer level.
Does anyone know how i might go about getting FTTP on demand? And if i did and the current FTTC download speed was reported as being in the low 20mbps range would FTTP give much of an improvement? Specifically would I see speeds in the low 300's or would i still be lucky to get anything above 30?
One off installation costs of a few grand wouldn't be a deterrent for me right now. What would matter are high monthly costs there afterwards.
When dealing with house prices and seeing one house for £110,000 and another for £130,000, both equally viable in terms of the houses themselves, if I could spend £10,000 on making the broadband work at 330mbps I'd look at it as a saving of £20,000 while getting the £110,000 house I want and good broadband. The main issue i have with this is not knowing if it's possible to commission BT or 'someone' to do this kind of thing, hence why I'm here. I fear the answers probably no but i figured it was worth making sure just in case.
I'm sure some people will read all this and think i'm nuts and you're probably right but I've lived with the internet since the mid 90's. I spent £80 a month on my mother's phone bill with dial up, was the first to take up 512kbps cable in my town when it was activated, had 4 bonded ADSL lines giving 8mpbs download speeds when 2mbps was at the cutting edge of  consumer broadband and once again was the first one on my cabinet to get fibre.
If i had to chose between having water going to the house or broadband I'd have to seriously think about it for a couple of days, choose the water and then regret it 1 week later while having a bath and watching a white circle going round and round on my tablet as I try to watch a YouTube video.
Broadband matters to me and I see it as only becoming more important as time goes on making me want to make sure wherever i move to isn't screwed because of distance and the exchange still running on decade old technology.
Any help/ideas appreciated. (And I don't mean men in white coats kind of help either!)
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Moving house + Keeping fast broadband.

chaoticmess
Grafter

Ooo that's a useful link.
Based off reading that i take it to mean if i was within 2km from wherever they take the line from it would cost me £6125 + £750 as one off costs than £1188 per year and the minimum time i would have to keep it for would be 3 years? (Ignoring VAT for the moment)
What about speeds? Suppose i was on a 3km line, does true fibre degrade over distance as badly as copper does? Would i be paying for a 330mbps line and instead still only be able to get 50mpbs?
Is this fibre on demand only doable if the exchange is FTTP enabled? Can i pay for BT to do this to any exchange or is there another scheme/system for this that costs more?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

FTTPoD is only available in a (very) limited number of areas and the area needs to already have FTTC
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Quote from: chaoticmess
If i had to chose between having water going to the house or broadband I'd have to seriously think about it for a couple of days, choose the water and then regret it 1 week later while having a bath and watching a white circle going round and round on my tablet as I try to watch a YouTube video.

Well that's a quote and a half!
Unfortunately, the last we heard was that BT stopped accepting orders for FTTPoD as it was not reall...
We've also had this communicated out to us internally. Your best bet is to find an FTTC area that'll give you the best speeds possible, though I do appreciate that there are probably a number of other more important factors to take into account when picking a house.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: MattyC
Your best bet is to find an FTTC area that'll give you the best speeds possible,

Or an area with Virgin Cable!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

That is also an option  Grin
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
chaoticmess
Grafter

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated even if they do confirm what i originally suspected. Virgin Cable isn't all that widespread the further north you go which is the general area we're looking at.
One additional question I forgot to ask in my original post was:
On 1 house I was looking at it said it was 74 meters away from the exchange. I thought this would be great news till I found out about Exchange Only lines. However what wasn't made clear is exactly what state this left the line in, in terms of how/if i could get fiber installed on the line and more specifically the time scale involved.
The exchange itself is definitely enabled for FTTC, I know that much.
Does BT not bother with them at all? Do they count them as low priority till they've done the surrounding cabinets/area? Given its more unique situation would it be the kind of thing BT would be more willing let me pay and have true fibre installed too given the stupidly small distance?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

BT are working on enabling EO lines, sometimes by placing a VDSL cabinet outside the exchange.