cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving files issue W7

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moving files issue W7

Sometimes (not always) when moving files dragging a folder containing the files I want to move from the Download folder on the boot drive to an external HDD I find that the folder appears to remain in it's original place.
Trying to open the folder brings up the following error:
C:\Users\Mav\Downloads\Folder Name is not accessible.
Access is denied.

This leads me to believe that the file is no longer there but why should it still be displayed.
W7 32bit fully updated.
Also, I find some files (and folders) fail to move with the following error:
You need permission to perform this action
You require permission from the computer's administrator to make changes to this folder
<File Name>
Try Again  Skip Cancel
Do this for all current items

Only Skip or Cancel have any effect.
I only have on Administrator account and I have set UAC to Never Notify.
I have downloaded the latest version of Unlocker which tells me that 'No Locking handles are found'.
The file(s) or folder(s) have the Read attribute set but I have no success in unsetting it.
Does anyone have any clues as to what is going on?
Cheers.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7 REPLIES 7
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Moving files issue W7

dont feel alone, me also.  must be another M$ mystery
Mav

Sorry Pierre, but you don't know how pleased I am to hear that Wink
Was so afraid it could be down to hardware (HDD) failure.
Had this issue with XP, too, but Unlocker usually found a 'Locking handle' and I was able to resolve it or it would resolve at a reboot.
To be honest, I haven't rebooted yet and will see what happens to these files when I do later this evening.
Will report back then.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

pierre_pierre
Grafter

I had the file move one yesterday, the image stayed on the old location, but the file did move, I thought it might be to do with the "Libraries" that are only sudo locations where the file is elswher, so tried to look at properties and got dumped.
Dont always get the Admin one, but just press skip and it does it anyway
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

This might sound silly but does the folder vanish if you close the window and open a new one, or refresh the current window? I'm wondering if its sort of cached in the window but not actually there?
Mav

ALready tried the refresh idea - no luck as with closing athe current folder and re-opening it Sad

Denzil
Grafter

Could be down to mixed up file permissions. Moving a file effectively means deleting the original copy, and if a file is set not to allow write access it won't like it.
Try this. Right click on the folder, click Properties, then the Security tab. Click the Advanced button and click the Permissions tab. In the Permission entries box you should see Full control next to Administrators. Click on Administrators and then click Change Permissions. Tick the box marked "Replace all child object permissions..." then OK everything.
Hopefully if you have an odd file with different permissions that will set all the files in the folder to allow full access.
Mav

The offending files/folders that were giving the errors have now gone after a reboot.
@Denzil So far today the issue hasn't reared its ugly head so I can't test your ssuggestion.