cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving abroad - how to configure email forwarding

Graeme_Hilton

Moving abroad - how to configure email forwarding

I'm moving abroad and will have to close my Plusnet account after 13 years.

I use a domain name which is DNS hosted elsewhere but all my mail goes through Plusnet before forwarding to several Gmail accounts, depending on the address.

Has anyone a good suggestion of how to maintain this arrangement outside of Plusnet?
Tags (3)
8 REPLIES 8
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Moving abroad - how to configure email forwarding

The only thing you can really do is to rent some web hosting or just mail hosting and then adjust the dns for your domain(s).

As for any existing email you've left on the server, you might want to think about taking that and saving it to your PC or moving it to another mail server if it supports imap.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

I don't understand "goes through Plusnet" I have a domain hosted by a third party and part of their offering is webmail. When I have been abroad for extended periods I have either used webmail or forwarded the email to a local ISP or just set up an email client using a mixture of my hosting companies and their servers. Plusnet email is different because they control the domain and that will be lost when you close your account.
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Graeme_Hilton

This is not the <user>.plus.com domain I'm talking about; it's a personal domain name.

The DNS is hosted at easily.co.uk as it's cheap.

nameservers with plusnet to use their domain management.

email for the domain is sent to plusnet mail servers (mx records point to plusnet).

email is then forwarded to various gmail accounts depending which of the family it's addressed to.

Graeme_Hilton

I think you're right.  It was very convenient having it all in one place with Plusnet, but I guess I'll have to pay someone for it!

Thanks,

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

you could look at zoho mail https://www.zoho.com/mail/ they will host a single domain for free. Not sure how good their forwarding facilities are though

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MJN
Pro

Will Easily's own email forwarding suffice? (It is limited to 20 mailbox names but can include a catch-all for non-matched aliases)

Graeme_Hilton

I've gone with Gandi.net.  They provide 1000 forwards and 5 mailboxes.  I don't require any mailboxes, just the forwards.

And it's free.

MJN
Pro

Your own registrar is free too, but if 20 aliases isn't enough then that's fair enough (and Gandi are a good company - I buy all my domains through them).