Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving a phone number from one mobile phone to another

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Moving a phone number from one mobile phone to another

Hi Baldrick1 

I think/hope it's every three years not two you need to renew your driving license after you get to seventy

I had to get a new photgraph as well had it done at my local post office

Brian A

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

It is every three years and they will use the digital photograph from your passport if you have one and quote the passport number when applying

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@Baldrick1 wrote: when you reach 70 ... you need to get a new one every two years!

Consequently they would have refused to do the swap if my wife had gone in on her own.

SoT... Haven't got there yet but just looked at my driving licence and I see it expires next year - not even 10 years since it was last issued (for change of address). Doesn't even line up with either reaching 70 or even my birthday. Certainly need to keep the eye on the ball as to what is valid nowadays.

But referring to sims, even if you get a new sim, it is incredably easy to port numbers to a new sim. Wife had been with her provider some 4 years now but I noticed another that was doing a slightly better deal for less money. Ordered the sim from the new provider. That came with a new number so it wasn't a total cut off if it was swapped out there and then.

That evening went online with her old provider to get the PAC number. Took seconds (literally) to get - it said how long the PAC number was valid for. You can do all this even via the phone now with a sms to 65075. Supplied the PAC number to the new provider (again online) and on the day that they said it would change over, it did. I could actually choose a day for the changeover to happen. On the day, it was a case of take old sim out and fit new (multi size sim supplied as standard). Restart phone and up and running. No drama or anything.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I've PAC'ed my number before and it was remarkably easy, just get a SIM from your new provider. That will have a different number and you give them your PAC code. To avoid any loss of service to your existing number, keep using the old SIM and after a day or two it will stop working. When it happens then swap the SIM over to your new one and it should all just be done.

I would keep the new SIM in the card section of my wallet so you will have it on you when it happens.

Archie53
Dabbler

Replying for 2 reasons.

1. I am new to this community and apparently I must reply to a post before I can post a question. Hpong this helps.

2. In complete agreement on reaching 70.

Thanks for helping so I can finally post a question (fingers crossed)

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hi @Archie53, welcome to the forums.

Sounds like you're thinking of PM's (Private Messages) where you need to make a post before you can send one to somebody. You can post a question on your first post, but it will be public.

If you click on someone's user name now there should be a button to Send a Private Message to them.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

@Alex , @idonno , @Anonymous     Just to bring you up-to-date. It turns out my wife isn't the original owner of the Orange SIM. Severalk years ago, a friend of my son upgraded to a new phone on a monthly contract, so he gave his old PAYG phone to my son. My son didn't need it as he had a phone already, so he passed it to my wife. She eventually decided to get a new phone (this is still some years ago, so not the new one she has just got), and she moved the Orange SIM to her first new phone. EE wont give us a new SIM for the latest new phone until the friend has gone into them to change the SIM ownership to us. He has moved away so is unable to oblige. Therefore, I've given up and got a new SIM so she has to put up with a new phone number, whether she likes it or not.

My thanks to everyone for your help