cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving a phone number from one mobile phone to another

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Moving a phone number from one mobile phone to another

My wife wants to replace her old phone, and she would like to move the phone number to the new one. I know that there are various methods - just move the SIM - get a PAC from the service provider, etc, but the new phone she wants has a different SIM size (Nano) to the old one (Mini). Also, she doesn't want to change service provider, plus she wants to stay on PAYG rather than go to a contract. The new phone doesn't include a SIM anyway, so we would need to get one of those - hopefully the service provider could provide that.

Is this just too complicated to get a correct size SIM that has a new number, and then move the old number across? Or is it just not possible to do all that we want?

Cheers

21 REPLIES 21
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Moving a phone number from one mobile phone to another

Her mobile provider should just be able to send out a nano-SIM keeping the number the same. By any chance is she with Plusnet?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Should be fairly easy.

Possibility 1 is that if the "old" SIM is not too old, it may already have a Nano sim embedded in it. Most SIM's in the last few years have been supplied as multi-size and you simply pop out the size you need.

Possibility 2 is that the current service provider (you don't say who it is) would be able to provide a new nano SIM with the same number. Ask them.

Possibility 3 (more risky) It is possible to cut down a Mini/Micro SIM to Nano size - instructions are available online

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@penneck 

The easy way to do this is to contact the current provider and ask for a new SIM. I recently did this with EE on a pay as you go service. It was free if I did it in an EE shop so I just took the two phones in and they swapped things over whilst I waited. There were no issues with keeping the same number.

You should find all you need to know on the providers web site.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Your provider should be able to exchange your SIM for a Nano SIM.

Nowadays SIM's come in templates where you can break them off to the revelant size. Depends on how old they are, if not you can cut them down either manually (more risky), but you can also use SIM cutting tools which is what I used to use. Though they will cost a couple of £'s on eBay and the like.

Baldrick1

I have one of those cutters somewhere in my junk box. I tried it once, it killed the SIM card!

Moderator and Customer

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Well yesterday I had to get a new PAYG SIM for my 5.5 year old niece, who has been given one of my old iPhones. Oh dear her first mobile, what have I done! There is no going back from now 😛

So I installed a PAYG Nano SIM with 3Gb of data which appears in useable in France as they have the roam like at home stuff. She is going back to Disneyland Paris next month.

Just checked the O2 site. It was one of those new SIMS with templates so I broke off the smaller Nano SIM section, managed to install it. Bit nerve racking for me, as I am paranoid I will drop a Nano SIM on the floor, and well have a good time in finding it. I didn't (thankfully) and installed it fine.

Annoyingly the phone had a keyboard lock and I tried all 4 digit combinations I would usually use which all failed. Which would lock the phone for x minutes, so I had some fun and games putting the phone into DFU mode and reflashing it. For those who don't know DFU means you have to reflash the phone from scratch and wipes everything and removes the keyboard lock.

Sorry, so back on topic. Depending on the OP's network, if there is a shop nearby they should be able to transfer your account onto a Nano SIM there. If not ask for a new one and ring CS. You'll probably have to give the old and new SIM serial numbers I would imagine.

Not managed to kill a SIM by cutting it, but it is only something I have done a few times.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

You all have come up with similar solutions. It is EE, and they have a shop about 3 miles from here. I will purchase the phone, then pay them a visit.

Thanks to you all. I'm sure this post is now finished. I'm grateful for your help

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good afternoon  penneck 

I needed a replacement Three sim went into a Three shop all done in less than 20 minutes at no cost yes no cost

Just make sure you take in something to identify yourself

Brian A  

Baldrick1

@penneck 

@Anonymous makes a very good point. The swap that I did was my wife's phone using an original Orange SIM and hence was on an old Orange account. This had to be updated to an EE account on the same tariff as there are no new Orange SIMs. This needed ID in the form of a Driving License. What nearly caught us out was that when we got to the shop it was identified that the account was in my name. Consequently they would have refused to do the swap if my wife had gone in on her own.

Moderator and Customer

penneck
Aspiring Pro

@Baldrick1  & @Anonymous 

Interesting. My wife doesn't drive so doesn't have a driving licence, and we have lived in our present home for 37 years so my driving licence is still that old long strip of paper thing (are either of you old enough to remember them?). Neither of us have been overseas since 2012 so our passports have expired. I wonder what other documents they will accept for ID?

My wife's SIM is probably an Orange one, so things get more and more complicated.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very good question penneck 

I would just take something like council tax/utility bills/ bank statements and I have used my OAP travel pass with the photo on which seems to be a good form of identity if you old enough to  have one

Brian A

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

First suggestion - ring customer services and ask before you go.

Second suggestion - use the expired passport. They really want to match a face to a name.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quite often they have a list of items, of which a driving licence is one.

I've shown my paper driving licence and it has usually been accepted.

Note:- If you ever get any points on your driving licence, you will be forced to get one of those photographic things.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Baldrick1

Not forgetting when you reach 70. Then you need to get a new one every two years!

Moderator and Customer