cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Router

FreddieFlint
Grafter

Moving Router

Has anyone moved their router from next to the BT modem to somewhere else in the house?

My master socket is in the kitchen (rear of the house) and I would like the router in my computer room (front of the house, upstairs). For "I would like" read SWMBO is fed up of looking at all my flashing lights  ! ! !

As it would cost quite a bit to move the master socket I've been thinking about running Cat5e or Cat6 from modem to upstairs and connecting router to that.

Good plan or have I missed anything?Huh

14 REPLIES 14
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Moving Router

@FreddieFlint

Well some people do that and have no issues while others do it and have issues. Great answer I know.

A good quality 10 to 15m cable cat 6 or cat 5e shouldn't cause any real degradation in the signal , it should handle 100m plus without issues. If you do it, then I would route away from sources of EMF like a microwave, night storage heaters, DECT base stations just to be on the safe side.

But unfortunately they are no guarantees that it will not have an impact on your line speed or reliability.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

I take it you are gaming and require max speed. I have an office three floors up and use HomePlugs, but I just check e-mails  and browse the net up there. 

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I have never used the router direct into the "master socket"... always in an inconvenient place, especially if you have to power off, or need access to it... So I have always added in my own "hard wired" telephone sockets to more convenient places around the house... I used one of these kits..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25m-White-3-Pair-Internal-Telephone-Cable-Extension-KIT-/260426398322?cmd=...

And have no issues with noise on the line, or problems associated with the router NOT being plugged directly into the master socket... so long as you make sure you use filters on all your sockets for any phones you plug in...

EDIT EDIT.... do not use the "flat" commercial "telephone extension" cable... this WILL cause you problems...

use only "hard copper"  "twisted pair" ... as in the linky above....

I don`t do gaming... but my speed is supposed to be a max of 6 MB.. actually getting 6.5 MB on a wireless connection, with the router about 12 inches above the laptop screen, and about 20 feet away from the master socket.

connection is rock solid, and rarely get a disconnection... I monitor it occasionally with routerstats, and if I see any problems, I usually get on the "Live Chat" and ask for the SNR to be changed, which, generally solves the problem..

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Has anyone moved their router from next to the BT modem to somewhere else in the house?

The OP is talking about extending the Ethernet connection between the modem and the router, In this case the connection speed from the modem i.e the synch speed and profile is not going to be affected. Up to 100m of good quality Cat5e or Cat6 between the modem and router will have no effect at all on the speed since it's perfectly capable of handling the 80Mbps max that a fibre connection can provide.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran

Ah... OK... thought he was using the words BT Modem in place of "master socket"...

shutter
Community Veteran

Deleted.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Would one possibility be to leave everything as it is and to run a piece of CAT5 or 6 to a distant switch - this would allow the connection of several remote ethernet devices. The router still provides things like NAT, DNS & DHCP.

I did this with about 20m of cat5, via two gigabit switches, and I get a gigabit connection on the gigabit part. Since the router only has 100megabit ports, that is the what I get overall.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@VileReynard

OP is under orders to move the router, please see original post

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
VileReynard
Hero

oops

shutter
Community Veteran

@SpendLessTime wrote:

@VileReynard

OP is under orders to move the router, please see original post

With that as the directive....... my previous post is relevant, and feasible..... Roll_eyesRoll_eyesRoll_eyes

tokey
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

As per all the other advice, there shouldnt be a problem as long as you use quality Cat5e/6 cable.

Your best bet would be to buy yourself a long cable and test it for a couple of days just running it loose in the house (before running it through the walls etc) and make sure it all works ok.

As per other advice, when you do run the cable properly try to avoid running it near anything that may cause interference such as microwaves etc.

VileReynard
Hero

When you run that cable permanently, try hard to avoid any very sharp bends. You can get cable that is relatively unaffected by microwaves etc.

Running it through walls, especially brick or concrete is incredibly noisy.Cheesy

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard wrote:

Running it through walls, especially brick or concrete is incredibly noisy.Cheesy

So, let the neighbours know you will be using a Hammer Drill... Roll_eyes

FreddieFlint
Grafter

Thanks for all the advice comrades, I'll give it a go when we've been on our hols Smiley