cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved NS to Plusnet - now web address not seen - gateway error - Help!

BigRD
Dabbler

Moved NS to Plusnet - now web address not seen - gateway error - Help!

Hi folks,
I moved my domain name hosting this morning from 123-reg.co.uk to Plusnet.  I can still access my website via IP address but now when I try the www.FGDN I get a gateway error.
All was working fine until I changed name hosts etc so guess the problem lies there.  Plusnet indicates - registered and hosting.
I've configured the domain in the control panel and setup an A name for Additional DNS records (Advanced) to "www" in the left field and IP address in the right.  Also done this for "mail"
Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks
15 REPLIES 15
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Moved NS to Plusnet - now web address not seen - gateway error - Help!

DNS changes can take up to 48 hours to propagate so you need to wait a day or so for things to update properly before it will work.
You have told PN the domain you want to host on your account. If not then you need to raise a ticket so they can add your domain name to their DNS servers. Just pointing your domain at PNs DNS servers is not enough.
BigRD
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply - just lack of patience  Roll_eyes
I used the Transfer in service to add my domain name to PN.  Will I still need to raise a ticket?
Thanks
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Oh dear. The transfer in is to move the whole domain to PN, including billing. You don't want to do that as PNs domain renewal costs are VERY HIGH! Details here.
You should have just changed the DNS on the domain @ 123reg and raised a ticket to get the domain hosted on your account. This way the domain stays with 123reg (and their low cost renewal) but is still hosted on your PN webspace.
You may not be able to stop the process now but you will need to move it out again (once it is fully setup) to 123reg and then arrange for it to be hosted only on your PN account
BigRD
Dabbler

oops.  That wasn't clear at all on Plusnet site.
Will wait a couple of days and move it back to 123-reg.  Was having other problems with mx records there.
I'm not using my PN webspace I've setup my own webserver on a Linux server and want to be able to run as web and mail server with my own domain name.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

If that's the case you don't need to host it on your PN account. I assume you can set an A record on it with 123reg. If so just point the domain at your IP address and your done.
Unless you are moving it to PN to use their email servers. In which case things have not been very rosy on that front lately.
BigRD
Dabbler

Ok that's settled I'll move it back. 
I had set up A records for my IP address but using 123-reg mx records for e-mail. 
My problem started with not being able to receive e-mail on my domain name.  Sending was not a problem.  I was getting errors about too many smtp connections and timeouts. So decided to move all to somewhere else and try that.  Timing is not too crucial with this at the moment.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

As things are not urgent and the transfer is in progress, why not try the PN mail servers to see if they are any better or may help resolve any MX record problems you may have.
BigRD
Dabbler

Many thanks for your help.
This is the error I'm receiving:
host mx0.123-reg.co.uk [195.224.48.119]: 550 relay not permitted
Do you have any ideas?
BigRD
Dabbler

All detail have now tranfered to PN.
Problem of receiving e-mail continues  Huh
I've ran an open relay test and get:
"All of your mailservers appear to be closed to relaying. mx.last.plus.net OK: 550 REJECTED: Relay not permitted"
I can send e-mails via smtp but when I try and receive via pop nothing happens.
I've tried sending from my plus.com address and receive an undelivered error from Mailer-Deamon:
A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
    retry time not reached for any host after a long failure period

What do I do now?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

First, if you don't mind, can you PM me your domain name. I can then do some mail connectivity tests to see if there are any problems. There have been issues in the past when new domains have been added to an account and it does not work.
Second, have you read the help & support pages relating to POP3 and SMTP mail as they do explain how to set things up. You also need to look at the manage my mail section on the portal (under email settings).
Without knowing the email addresses you are using (both from and to) its is difficult to offer any help. Perhaps you can give some examples but using domain instead of your actual domain and username instead of your plusnet name so we have an idea what you are trying to do.
Finally it can take up to 48 hours for things to properly propagate so you may need to wait a while longer before your domain works.
BigRD
Dabbler

I've PM'd you the details. Thanks
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

OK, first problem is you only have 1 MX record on the domain to mx.last.plus.net with priority 20. You are missing an MX record to mx.core.plus.net priority 10.
You need to raise a ticket and get PN to fix the mail setup for your domain. This may fix your mail problems.
Second ,you are using yourname@domain.co.uk (which is the same mailbox as yourname@username.plus.com), is this a named mailbox on your account or does it go to your default mailbox? If a named mailbox, you have to use username+yourname as the POP3 login with its corresponding password. To check this use the webmail link on the member centre page.
BigRD
Dabbler

Peter,
I've added to mx record at my PN member page.
I've PMd you with some other info.
Thanks again.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

If you are running your own mail server then you need to setup the domain to send all mail to your IP address. Under domain names, for the domain select SMTP under Mail settings. Then remove any MX records you have set under the DNS for the domain.
What is currently happening is mail is being delivered to your mailbox on your plusnet account and not to your mail server where your pop3 mailbox is.