Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move from Windows 7 (32) to (64)

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Move from Windows 7 (32) to (64)

This partly links to my earlier question about insufficient RAM but have started a new topic as the question is different.
If you wish to move from Windows 7 (32) to (64) will you lose everything (ie. existing files) Also is it advisable to do this or is it better starting from scratch and reformatting your hard drive before before trying to install 64.
Finally what is the easiest way to format a drive which has a current operating system running as format is usually blanked out on the system drive ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
12 REPLIES 12
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Move from Windows 7 (32) to (64)

Why not ask "can I dual boot Windows 32 & 64"?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I think to do that you need 2 Windows 7 licenses.  Cry
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Last question first - no you can't dual boot without buying two licenses.
Regarding data - you should move the whole lot to a separate partition
Regarding installed programs - you will need to reinstall them
There is no upgrade option from 32 bit to 64 bit so I think that the widows install will wipe everything from that partition whether or not you select the reformat option
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-windows-frequently-asked-questions
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Oldjim,
Thanks for that, the link you gave me for microsoft explains the position in full .
Not sure why someone suggested a dual boot system unless it's because some things will not work in the 64 version that would work in the 32 bit.
I Did know you needed to purchase a second license for the 64 version, no wonder Bill is such a rich chap !
We are born into history and history is born into us.
severedsolo
Grafter

Funny thing  Smiley Although TECHNICALLY you need two licenses to dual boot, in actuality, alot of users report being able to use the same license on 32 and 64 bit editions in a dual boot, because it see's it as a Reinstall on the same machine.
The actual license is good for that edition on your PC, it doesnt care whether its 32 or 64 bit, the things it checks are:
1. are you using the right edition? IE. Home Premium, Professional etc.
2. is it installed on the same computer? this is done by assigning a value to each component, if the total value is significantly changed the machine is viewed as a new machine, but a new motherboard is instantly a new computer.
In most cases activation will simply see that it is still the same edition, on the same machine and allow the validation. It all depends on how you feel about stretching the EULA a little bit
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: severedsolo
In most cases activation will simply see that it is still the same edition, on the same machine and allow the validation. It all depends on how you feel about stretching the EULA a little bit

The EULA is totally explicit about either installing 32 bit or 64 bit Windows 7 (unfortunately).  So it really depends on how you feel about indulging in a little bit of software piracy.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: severedsolo
Funny thing  Smiley Although TECHNICALLY you need two licenses to dual boot, in actuality, alot of users report being able to use the same license on 32 and 64 bit editions in a dual boot, because it see's it as a Reinstall on the same machine.
The actual license is good for that edition on your PC, it doesnt care whether its 32 or 64 bit, the things it checks are:

Sounds to me like the same Manufacturer OEM disc has been used between 32/64 bits, and in that case all it checks is the SLIC table in the BIOS. The OEM key and the fact the BIOS matches is enough to activate Windows itself without the user having to do anything.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Actually, some - perhaps most(?) of the 64 bit code will be using a direct 32 bit port.
Bit of a cheek to ask you to pay twice for the same code.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Alex
Sounds to me like the same Manufacturer OEM disc has been used between 32/64 bits

They are totally separate DVD's.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: Windows
Alternative Versions. The software may include more than one version, such as 32-bit and 64-bit. You may install and use only one version at one time.

Pick your version here for the EULA.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: HPsauce
Quote from: Alex
Sounds to me like the same Manufacturer OEM disc has been used between 32/64 bits

They are totally separate DVD's.

Sorry wasn't clear - I didn't mean the same disc, I meant a different disc but for the same OEM Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

If you buy a retail or an upgrade copy of Windows 7 you get two DVDs, one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit.  If you buy an OEM copy of Windows 7 you have to specify either the 32-bit or the 64-bit version, you don't get both.  If you buy a computer with an OEM copy of Windows 7 pre-installed you will be lucky if you get a disc of any sort (rather than having a piece of software nag you to create recovery discs).  But if you do get a disc it will be for the version of Windows 7 pre-installed, you won't have an option to change.